Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lot 3449 tonight on heritage! crazy what happened! *update*thursday morning!

2»

Comments

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the first time I've ever heard of Heritage having problems with their auctions...

for a 1885 ngc pf67 quarter.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    If you think of the auction business as a game of chance, where sometimes you roll a 2 or a 12, but
    most of the time you roll the middle numbers, it is easier to understand. Having been the auctioneer
    for a few club auctions, I can sympathize with those running the thousand-lot-a-night auctions. Since
    it is Heritage, I would cut them some slack -- they almost always make it right, especially for better
    customers. I do feel bad for the consignor, though.
  • So it appears that...all's well that ends well. Congrats Joe.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've confirmed that we will be selling you this coin for the hammer price. Congratulations on a great buy!

The consignor removed the reserve on the lot at the last minute, which, among other things, led to the very low opening bid. The auctioneer thought that the reserve was still in effect, which led to the confusion. >>

I didn't know that this could happen. But I am confused, the OP said there was no reserve. and that is typically posted weeks before the auction, aeound 12/17/10. So how is is possible for the consignor to remove the reserve at the last minute if there was no reserve reported? >>

We do occasionally lower or remove reserves on certain lots, as happened here. In this case, the lot would have shown as not having a reserve only after the reserve was removed. While the reserve was in place, in this case roughly a week, the status would have said "Reserve Not Met." (If it hadn't, we would have heard about it mighty fast... image)
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list