Home Sports Talk
Options

Baseball HOF 2012

the biggest new name will be Bernie Williams....
thus insuring that Barry Larkin gets in image

Comments

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larkin's numbers jumped up pretty good this time around, so there's hope for next year.

Bernie does deserve some HOF consideration, but his chances ain't great.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    stop the Bernie talk.........
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    seriously. he deserves no consideration, McGriff would be a great player to select, a true slugger not a roid head who fell 7 homers shy of the magic number. Viewed as a classy guy, team player, MVP candidate.
  • Options

<< <i>seriously. he deserves no consideration, McGriff would be a great player to select, a true slugger not a roid head who fell 7 homers shy of the magic number. Viewed as a classy guy, team player, MVP candidate. >>

If i had a vote i would vote for Mcgriff before Larkin any day. AND this is coming from a reds fan.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I said in the other HOF thread that I am surprised the Crimedog did not get alot of votes.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, McGriff was a spectacular player, but with Frank Thomas coming up in a few years, how many first baseman can we induct? By the numbers, McGwire and Thomas were the best of the era. McGriff comes in behind them. I accept the argument that sportsmanship will keep out McGwire, so someone like McGriff is in. We are still recovering from the aftermath of the steroid era, so voting remains cloudy.

McGwire was never a jerk and tries to help society. Keep in mind that he hit 49 homers in his rookie season with a pencil necked physique. I believe steroids helped him stay healthier and recover from injuries more so than helping him hit home runs (he already demonstrated he could do that). He was on the DL quite often until he went on his late career splurge. We can still say that it is cheating because guys like Mattingly did not do that to extend their careers or stay off the DL longer. If you ever saw Mattingly in person, you would see he is not a hulking speciman, but pretty ordinary, lean and not imposing, yet he holds the record for most home runs in an 8 game stretch.

I am on the fence with Morris, but I think Larkin is the real deal. Ripken and Ozzie Smith are in. IIRC, Larkin will be the third shortstop of the era? There was one other voted in by the veterans committee, but he was from a much older era anyway.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Larkin will get in eventually. McGriff, in my opinion is borderline, but I believe he will eventually get in. The standards to become a Hall of Famer now is not what it used to be. Seems like they will elect borderline guys in due time. My question is, why isn't Ron Santo or Gil Hodges in the hall?

Upcoming Autograph Signings
    www.chrispottersports.com