Home Sports Talk
Options

Alomar and Blyleven inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame

digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
Alomar jumped all the way up to 90%. Guess the writers made a "statement" last year, or something.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    both players are well deserved and neither should have been made to wait.
  • Options
    Sluggers Rafael Palmeiro, Jeff Bagwell and Mark McGwire all fell below the 50 percent mark.

• Options
    As for the guys who didn't make it..

Barry Larkin: 62.1% (+10.5%)
    Jack Morris: 53.5% (+1.2%)
    Lee Smith: 45.3% (-2.0%)
    Jeff Bagwell: 41.7%
    Tim Raines: 37.5% (+7.1%)
    Edgar Martinez: 32.9% (-3.3%)
    Alan Trammell: 24.3% (+1.9%)
    Larry Walker: 20.3%
    Mark McGwire: 19.8% (-3.9%)
    Fred McGriff: 17.9% (-3.6%)
    Dave Parker: 15.3% (+0.1%) (15th and final ballot)
    Don Mattingly: 13.6% (-2.5%)
    Dale Murphy: 12.6% (+0.9%)
    Rafael Palmeiro: 11.0%
    Juan Gonzalez: 5.2%

Everyone else fell off, including Harold Baines who falls off in his 5th ballot.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So....is it officially time to sell all of my 1971 Topps Bert Blyleven Rookie cards? image
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Props to both players! Never really thought Alomar was the slam dunk everybody else did. Glad to see Bert make it, man did he crank out the hits in his day. Any Day Now and What The World Needs Now are 2 of my favorites.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Blyleven was worthy, but it's interesting to note his rough road on the ballot:

1998: 17.6%
    1999: 17.4%
    2000: 17.4%
    2001: 23.5%
    2002: 26.3%
    2003: 29.2%
    2004: 35.4%
    2005: 40.9%
    2006: 53.3%
    2007: 47.7%
    2008: 61.9%
    2009: 62.7%
    2010: 74.2%
    2011: 79.7% - Induction

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Blyleven was worthy, but it's interesting to note his rough road on the ballot:

1998: 17.6%
    1999: 17.4%
    2000: 17.4%
    2001: 23.5%
    2002: 26.3%
    2003: 29.2%
    2004: 35.4%
    2005: 40.9%
    2006: 53.3%
    2007: 47.7%
    2008: 61.9%
    2009: 62.7%
    2010: 74.2%
    2011: 79.7% - Induction >>

Very interesting how much he gained in votes.

Lets see who was inducted each year by the BBWAA . I left on Bly's vote percentage on each year.

1998: 17.6% Don Sutton
    1999: 17.4% Robin Yount, Nolan Ryan, George Brett
    2000: 17.4% Tony Perez, Carton Fisk
    2001: 23.5% Dave Winfield, Kirby Puckett
    2002: 26.3% Ozzie Smith
    2003: 29.2% Eddie Murray, Gary Carter
    2004: 35.4% Molitor and Eckersley
    2005: 40.9% Sandberg and Boggs
    2006: 53.3% Sutter
    2007: 47.7% Ripken and Gwynn
    2008: 61.9% The Goose
    2009: 62.7% Henderson and Rice
    2010: 74.2% Dawson

Sorry if i got anyone wrong...just did this fast.

So you have Sutton, Nolan Ryan, Eckersley and the Goose got in during those years...Interesting.

I never considered Bly one of the best when you look at each year, but he certainly compiled HOF #'s during his career. I always thought the same as Sutton.

I do think the writers did get it right though and Glad Alomar got in because he was one of the best.

brian
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

Any Day Now and What The World Needs Now are 2 of my favorites.

Don't you mean Burt? image
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So....is it officially time to sell all of my 1971 Topps Bert Blyleven Rookie cards? image >>

Don't have his rookie card, but I did get this from him in 1990, from a through-the-mail autograph request:
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Alomar and Blyleven are reasonable, and fine selections,
    as McGwire, Larkin, and Bagwell would have been as well.

It is always interesting/surprising to note, that Bly was rated as among the better pitchers in his league,
    a grand total of two times in a 22 season career, via AS game selections.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Blyleven,
    Quietly compiled alot of stats. Was never one of the top pitchers in the game. Stats can be deceiving.

Mickey71
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    No problem with either of these guys. Both are deserving. Props to the voters for getting this one right.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Blyleven,
    Quietly compiled alot of stats. Was never one of the top pitchers in the game. Stats can be deceiving.

Mickey71 >>

Stats are only deceiving if you don't understand how to interpret them.
  • Options
    Looks like the voters never forgave Dave Parker for his past coke addiction. He was a better player than Rice, and deserves to be in.
  • Options

<< <i>Blyleven,

Mickey71 >>

I agree with you. Blyleven was a compiler. All sports Hall Of Fames are so watered down that people aren't even upset anymore that someone whom was never the greatest pitcher for any considerable period of time now has a Cooperstown plaque in perpetuity.

I'm in the minority in that sports HOFs should be much more exclusive. If current HOF members in each respective HOF numbered 40-50% of what they are now, then HOFs might truly feel special again. They're all lost forever.

There are other ways to honor outstanding athletes: a "Bert Blyleven night" in Minnesota, the Twins' retirement of Bly's number, or perhaps even induction in the Twins Hall Of Fame.

Though only in my 30s, I still remember Chris Berman calling him: Bert "Be Home" Blyleven. I wish he were staying home in July rather than honored at a certain ceremony in upstate New York.
  • Options
    287 wins. 3700 strikeouts. Great post season record.

What else can you ask for out of a pitcher??
  • Options
    There have been 17,498 MLB players throughout history. There are 214 MLB players in the Hall of Fame.

That's 1.2%. I'm perfectly fine honoring that 1.2%.

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I have a hard time reconciling the complaints about unworthy guys getting in and compalints about voters who don't vote for enough guys.

Maybe I'm dense. Ok, yeah, I KNOW I am. But still......
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    look at the record on some of those twins teams that Bert pitched for, lotta losing records lots of .500 records.

he pitched great in 2 world series and helped both teams win in the playoffs and the big stage. he tossed a ton of complete games AND 60 shutouts.

he has more Wins than guys like Palmer, Hunter and Bunning and he probably should have won the 1973 Cy young award.
  • Options

<< <i>look at the record on some of those twins teams that Bert pitched for, lotta losing records lots of .500 records.

he pitched great in 2 world series and helped both teams win in the playoffs and the big stage. he tossed a ton of complete games AND 60 shutouts.

he has more Wins than guys like Palmer, Hunter and Bunning and he probably should have won the 1973 Cy young award. >>

Yep, guy pitches during possibly the greatest pitching era in modern times, surrounded by guys like Ryan, Seaver, Jenkins, and Carlton, yet not being better than those guys somehow makes him unworthy.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I am surprised the Crimedog does not get more love. He is not a HOFer, but he was a very good player for a long time.
  • Options

<< <i>287 wins. 3700 strikeouts. Great post season record.

What else can you ask for out of a pitcher?? >>

Greatness, or near-dominance, even for a short period of time would be nice.
    Just one Cy Young Award. He has none.
    For goodness sake, Blyleven only made two All-Star teams in his 23-year career!

As for 214 HOF players of 17,498 players in the history of MLB, that is exactly my point. That's more than 1 out of 82 players - which even includes those that had a cup of coffee in the Majors - are enshrined forever.

Looking at roster size, that would work out to about one player for every three Major League Baseball team's rosters at any given time!

I'm not saying Bert Blyleven shouldn't be honored, I'm saying he should not be inducted into the National Baseball Hall Of Fame. This once-hallowed institution was formerly synonymous with terms like "Gods Of The Game" and "Living Legends". Today - Bert Blyleven. LOL!
  • Options

<< <i>

As for 214 HOF players of 17,498 players in the history of MLB, that is exactly my point. That's more than 1 out of 82 players - which even includes those that had a cup of coffee in the Majors - are enshrined forever.

Looking at roster size, that would work out to about one player for every three Major League Baseball team's rosters at any given time!

I'm not saying Bert Blyleven shouldn't be honored, I'm saying he should not be inducted into the National Baseball Hall Of Fame. This once-hallowed institution was formerly synonymous with terms like "Gods Of The Game" and "Living Legends". Today - Bert Blyleven. LOL! >>

Please tell me you're not using All-Star appearances, especially during a time when it was 100% fan voting at the stadiums, as a measure of HOF-worthiness.

EDIT: Especilly#2: In an era when the only way to see a player was to attend a game or watch the GOTW on Saturday. How many fans even knew who he was?
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    When I was 8 years old I used to go to the Gillette All-Star voting displays and stuff them. I voted for my favorites. Being that there was no cable, and the Twins were never on television, I never voted for Blyleven. I'm sure I was not alone in not voting for him, even if he deserved it.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Blyleven,

Mickey71 >>

I agree with you. Blyleven was a compiler. All sports Hall Of Fames are so watered down that people aren't even upset anymore that someone whom was never the greatest pitcher for any considerable period of time now has a Cooperstown plaque in perpetuity.

I'm in the minority in that sports HOFs should be much more exclusive. If current HOF members in each respective HOF numbered 40-50% of what they are now, then HOFs might truly feel special again. They're all lost forever.

There are other ways to honor outstanding athletes: a "Bert Blyleven night" in Minnesota, the Twins' retirement of Bly's number, or perhaps even induction in the Twins Hall Of Fame.

Though only in my 30s, I still remember Chris Berman calling him: Bert "Be Home" Blyleven. I wish he were staying home in July rather than honored at a certain ceremony in upstate New York. >>

Very nice sentiments. There's a Jim Rice thread in here somewhere with which you should become acquainted.
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice sentiments. There's a Jim Rice thread in here somewhere with which you should become acquainted. >>

'Tis true; of course Rice shouldn't be in either...and with all the Red Sox partisanship, I don't have time to fight that battle. image

Slippery-slopeism is alive & well. There's no erosion control plan in sight.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blyleven,

Mickey71 >>

Stats are only deceiving if you don't understand how to interpret them.

Exactly. Blyleven was an outstanding pitcher on a lot of mediocre small market teams. Wins are probably the most misleading stat there is to gauge a pitcher's effectiveness, but Blyleven's career ERA of 3.31 in nearly 5K IP, 3700 K's, career ERA+ of 118 and WHIP if 1.19, not to mention 60 career shutouts tell the real story.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I don't think pitchers were ever voted on by the fans. The coaches picked them in the all star game?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm not saying Bert Blyleven shouldn't be honored, I'm saying he should not be inducted into the National Baseball Hall Of Fame. This once-hallowed institution was formerly synonymous with terms like "Gods Of The Game" and "Living Legends". Today - Bert Blyleven. LOL! >>

Please tell me you're not using All-Star appearances, especially during a time when it was 100% fan voting at the stadiums, as a measure of HOF-worthiness.

EDIT: Especilly#2: In an era when the only way to see a player was to attend a game or watch the GOTW on Saturday. How many fans even knew who he was? >>

Agreed. More impressive Blyleven stats:

60 shutouts....9th all-time

5-1 post-season record.....2.47 era.............2 Championships............NUFF SAID
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Hats off to Alomar. He played here locally in AAA while I was selling drinks and snacks for tickets I would turn it at the end of the night for my pay.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the voters never forgave Dave Parker for his past coke addiction. He was a better player than Rice, and deserves to be in. >>

I am not saying that Rice is a great HOFer, but how is Parker more derserving?
  • Options
    Parker is not more deserving and its not even close.
  • Options
    Parker had a cool earring when he was about 275 LBS and DHing in the American League. Hall of Fame talent early on in his career. Food and drugs took him out of the hall.......Mo Vaughn also.
  • Options
    Jack Morris should be in, same with Ron Santo. Congratulations to Alomar and Blyleven.

How to get autographs.....
    www.chrispottersports.com
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think pitchers were ever voted on by the fans. The coaches picked them in the all star game? >>

----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Alomar was the right choice. Blyleven I am on the fence on.

It looks like Larkin and Morris could be next. Next year's Ballot rookies is led by Bernie Williams. While Williams was outstanding, I think Larkin's star shines brighter.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    I totally respect Bernie Williams and can say "No way in hell he makes it". He just wasn't good enough to even consider.
  • Options
    Coaches get fooled by W/L records as well...so it is no surprise they wouldn't select Blyleven too often.

Blyleven's low showing in Cy Young awards is because of writers voting...nuff said. They have no clue on W/L record, and still think it is because players 'know how to win', ala Jack Morris, as opposed to the reality of it.

So in a nutshell, the W/L record perception hurt him in those two areas.

What didn't hurt him is how good a pitcher he was...and luckily the measurements with a high validity on determining that, does show it.

Bernie Williams is better than most people think. However, being a bit of a 'glass man' where he only played 150 games twice in his career, does limit him.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Saberman is spot on.

3701 K's is nothing to sneeze at. I respect the guy who put in the effort, didn't beat his chest (until now, LOL), and over time materialized into a Hall of Fame player. Put him on some better teams and you're looking at 325 wins.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the voters never forgave Dave Parker for his past coke addiction. He was a better player than Rice, and deserves to be in. >>

I am not saying that Rice is a great HOFer, but how is Parker more derserving? >>

Rice deserves to be in the hall. I watched the hall of fame show last night on Major league network. Jon Heyman said it is an injustice that Parker is not in the hall.

Many people think Parker was a better player than Rice. Parker had a more successful career and was by far a more feared hitter than Rice.

IBB....Parker 124
    Rice 72
    Parker should be a two-time MVP because of the year he got robbed in 1985 over his cocaine trial. He hit 312 that year and led the league in rbi, doubles, and extra base hits and 2nd in homers.
    When Parker retired he was in the top-50 all time in 6 different categories and still is in a couple.
    some of his stats to make his case:

1978 MVP
    1979 ALL-STAR MVP
    7-time all-star
    2-time batting champion
    3 silver sluggers
    3 gold gloves
    2 championships with 2 different teams
    Had 10 hits against the Orioles in 79 series
    1493 RBI
    2712 HITS
    526 DOUBLES
    940 EXTRA BASE HITS

Finished in the top 10 in MVP voting 6 times.
  • Options
    Blacklabelsociety... I think this might be the first time we have ever agreed, but we have done it!!! Yes, Dave Parker was better than Rice. And amongst those highlights you mentioned were the Gold Gloves. Parker had an arm of legend. Only fools ran on him. Nobody ran on Rice at Fenway either, but that was because by the time the ball came off the Monster to him, he was only about 200 feet from the plate.
  • Options

<< <i>Gold Gloves. Parker had an arm of legend. Only fools ran on him. >>

Yea Eddie Murray found out the hard way in game 2 of the 79 series. I'll never forget the stunned look on Murray's face at home plate....priceless image
  • Options
    Yup,

Blacklabel got one right there.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options

<< <i>Blacklabelsociety... I think this might be the first time we have ever agreed, but we have done it!!! Yes, Dave Parker was better than Rice. And amongst those highlights you mentioned were the Gold Gloves. Parker had an arm of legend. Only fools ran on him. Nobody ran on Rice at Fenway either, but that was because by the time the ball came off the Monster to him, he was only about 200 feet from the plate. >>

Just learned another interesting Parker stat from watching Major league network tonight.

Parker
    1977...single season assists...26....Most assists ever in a season by a outfielder.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for being so late to reply to this, but I've only got one thing to say that I think is appropriate (and I bet Mr. Blyleven himself was at least tempted to say this) regarding Mr. Blyleven FINALLY becoming a HOF-elect:

It is about damn time!! image

Seriously, there was no excuse for making the man wait 14 years while every 3000 hit club member since 1962 (until Palmeiro of course) got in on the first ballot. And I strongly believe 3000 K's for a pitcher should get that same "automatic bid" status. And Mr. Blyleven had 701 K's to spare, plus 287 wins, and most importantly, 60 career shutouts!!

Better late than never I suppose...

Now I can only hope Ronnie Milsap gets his call to the (Country Music) Hall in 2011. He's certainly a much more worthy singer than say, Vince Gill. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars