Home U.S. Coin Forum

How rare is the 1892-S/S Barber Quarter?

Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
It seems to be a tough date to locate in itself, but how much more rare is the RPM? Not my series, I have no clue, but I was able to get a hold of a nice original G-VG a few years back.

Just curious, not selling or anything.

Comments

• Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    A lone sagebrush rolls by as the wind howls throught the streets of PCGS.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well PCGS has graded one in 55 and NGC has none listed in their Pop report. I don't have a Cherrypicker's guide around but that would be where I'd first look to get an idea about rarity factor. I've never handled one but it's not common, that's a fact. Not many Barber collectors out there who collect RPM's. Here's a link to the definitive source for the series: Barber quarter Book on Stella

They have a nice pic of it anyway!
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, when it comes to Barber Die varieties I rarely see them pull huge premiums, the 92-O Micro O Half Dollar being the sole exception. There's a very narrow band of Barber Collectors who chase these sorts of things actively.

As far as pops go, I don't think that's a good indicator either as I have an 09-S Half that's graded and attributed as an inverted Mint Mark, and only a handful have been graded, yet I don't think that they are even remotely as scarce as the pops indicate.

Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a 1892 P/S but I could never see it. Of course you 'll never see the 'P' but I was told by the Ebay seller (one who sells frequently with stellar feedback) that it was there. I ended up trading it to Mr. Briggs at a show for partial payment on an SL quarter. I don't think he could see it either and it was not marked as such on the NGC AU58 holder nor have I researched it further other that a few Google searches that came up nill. image
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
    I don't mean to sound ignorant, but isn't an "S" over "P" effectively just an "S" mint, since there wasn't a "P" mintmark back then?

Thanks for the input everyone, especially the link to the Barber reference, nice resource!
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't mean to sound ignorant, but isn't an "S" over "P" effectively just an "S" mint, since there wasn't a "P" mintmark back then?

Thanks for the input everyone, especially the link to the Barber reference, nice resource! >>

'P' over 'S' not s over p. Since Philly's mintmark is 'no mintmark' the claim was it was somehow double struck in which the reverse die smashed the 's' flat. I could never see this and had never heard of such folklore but I was more or a newbie then (heck still am) and I took a chance. It wasn' really at a premium as I recall paying somthing like $285 for it. It had a nice MS look but I saw no smashed 's'.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
    Oh. That makes much more sense. I guess it's just me and my dyslexia (sp?) kicking in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file