Home U.S. Coin Forum

Shipping Gouge - Dumb & Dumberer

2»

Comments

• ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    "i have seen a seller be hit with higher costs for shipping than he collected. Nothing was ever said" this is underhanded, both the seller and buyer should expect to abide to the original terms of the auction, the op may have sent the seller a note (before the purchase) asking for an alternate shipping method, (first class mail perhaps) which is cheaper, but priority mail even in the small flat rate boxes with delivery confirmation is close to $8 anyway you look at it. rather than expecting that the seller (with a feedback of 50) to know the most economical way to send something is not going to play out well. buyers may or may not know that if an item weighs less that 13 oz it can go first class mail no matter if its in an envelope or box, if it weighs over 13oz it must go priority mail which starts at $6 for a VHS sized box. add delivery confirmation or signature confirmation and it can reach $10 fast ... for a VHS sized box.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
    what exactly is a proof quarter capsule anyway ? ? ? edited to add: i am not defending the seller, but i do believe that before you buy any item, you should agree on the terms of the sale and if you do agree on the terms it is senseless to complain after the fact. would be no different than a seller accepting an offer then complaining because the buyer offered too little money.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what exactly is a proof quarter capsule anyway ? ? ? >>

So, all the whining and moaning and complaining and attacking you have done in the thread and you DON'T EVEN KNOW what it was that was being talked about? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I heard/read somewhere that you can't self-insure or charge for insurance that is not actually from a real insurer. >>

That's correct. You can't charge for insurance unless it's provided by an actual insurer. However, if that insurer isn't the USPS, the cost to the seller doesn't show up anywhere. I sent a $1200 package today with $3.68 in postage for FC with a signature. The shipping cost charged was well higher since the insurance wasn't free, it just wasn't shown on the label.

As for the OP, I'm still split. On one hand, the seller did do what he said. On the other, it seems well excessive. I don't want to ding a seller for doing what they said, since I went in knowing what I was going to get. If I pay a bit more than I should for shipping, oh, well. It's factored in my bid. But if it's really, really excessive, then I can understand frustration, though again, I'd just factor it into my bid until I knew better.

As a seller, I keep the costs as low as possible, and it's not unheard of for me to add additional items in for free if the package weight and general value doesn't change. I figure the good will is better in the long run.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    What ebay buyers' do not understand is that there is a handllng cost to cover the overhead on most shipments sent.It is ridiculous to assume that there is no costs incurred by the seller to ship the merchandise. I usually eat mine, because I feel that it is the cost of doing business. I do however, feel that with the environment of ebay that it is assumed that the seller must bend over, at any cost to ensure that he keeps his valuable feedback ratings. If someone has the shipping charges clearly posted before you bid, then what does it matter what he charges you and how much they actually pay. Maybe he is self insuring? I would never do this myself, but I also would not blame a seller for doing such. It is what it is.
    the shipping charge is the issue not what was sold. if a common sense approach in your eyes is "whining and moaning and complaining" then yes i have been whining, moaning and complaining that the buyer should have fully negotiated the terms before the sale as opposed to being angry afterward.

<< <i>As a seller, I keep the costs as low as possible, and it's not unheard of for me to add additional items in for free if the package weight and general value doesn't change. I figure the good will is better in the long run. >>

But, Jeremy, I think you are pretty honest and upfront as a seller. From how things are written, I think the seller in the OP's issue is more than willing to play a few games to cut corners or increase their profit margin from shipping....and will make excuses for doing so. Just an assumption from seeing this type of thing before....experience can be quite the teacher.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>"both the seller and buyer should expect to abide to the original terms of the auction..." . >>

I believe this is this gist of what I wrote in the first paragraph of my post.

Lunch is over.
    ebay has conditioned buyers to the level of welfare recipients, everything should be free, those of us that dont buy into that, realize that everything is not free and somewhere down the line, someone has to foot the bill
  • deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    I can relate to the OP's experience...

And edit to add:

Insulting forum users isn't precisely how to be on the good side of people. Arguments are great and all, but if you cannot argue without flinging dirt, I suggest you unplug your keyboard momentarily and take a break. That is all.
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I ding him too. There's far too many sellers making a profit on shipping. All the packing and driving were taken care of on the first coin and the second coin was free to ship with the other purchased. These aren't expensive coins so really insurance wouldn't drive the cost for the second coin. I would have replied to send each coin in a seperate package and paid the extra $1.40.
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought I heard/read somewhere that you can't self-insure or charge for insurance that is not actually from a real insurer. >>

That's correct. You can't charge for insurance unless it's provided by an actual insurer. However, if that insurer isn't the USPS, the cost to the seller doesn't show up anywhere. I sent a $1200 package today with $3.68 in postage for FC with a signature. The shipping cost charged was well higher since the insurance wasn't free, it just wasn't shown on the label.

As for the OP, I'm still split. On one hand, the seller did do what he said. On the other, it seems well excessive. I don't want to ding a seller for doing what they said, since I went in knowing what I was going to get. If I pay a bit more than I should for shipping, oh, well. It's factored in my bid. But if it's really, really excessive, then I can understand frustration, though again, I'd just factor it into my bid until I knew better.

As a seller, I keep the costs as low as possible, and it's not unheard of for me to add additional items in for free if the package weight and general value doesn't change. I figure the good will is better in the long run. >>

And so it is. I perhaps did not make that point as well as I should have... thank you
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

<< <i>the shipping charge is the issue not what was sold. if a common sense approach in your eyes is "whining and moaning and complaining" then yes i have been whining, moaning and complaining that the buyer should have fully negotiated the terms before the sale as opposed to being angry afterward. >>

Nah, I don't mind "common sense", but common sense should take into account the whole picture. You didn't, so I don't equate your postings with common sense. Sorry, just speaking the truth.
    Also, I've been on ebay awhile myself (and have sold as well as bought) and, unless one is doing BINs, it is difficult to take everything into account early on. I also don't agree with the term "negotiate". I prefer "discuss terms ahead of time" as, to me, if I am the buyer, then the seller is setting the terms and I can take/leave them. I do not "negotiate them". I inquire and buy/walk.

If the OP was bidding, or may not have won both, then it can be useless to ask "hey, what if I buy 2 items? What's the discounted shipping? What about 3?". Then, how will they know HOW it will be shipped? You want that asked upfront as well? All of a sudden, you have a problem buyer. One where YOU would likely say "block that bidder".

Again, I just don't see your posts as common sense.

Thanks

bochiman, i could seriously care less what you think of my posts, if you disagree or agree has no affect on my life. i reserve the right to block anyone i choose. for any reason that i choose, just speaking the truth, if you want to know what the shipping discount is, i believe you should ask the seller, rather than assume what it would be. a buy it now or a regular auction, if you want to know the shipping discount, you need to ask the seller, not play the "i didnt have time to ask" card. yes i would block you as a matter of fact i believe i already did for another one of your seemingly assinine responses
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I didn't the thread so excuse me if I'm missing a good Hockey Game.

I don't mind if a seller makes money on shipping. There is nothing immoral or unethical about it. It is called shipping AND HANDLING and those who think the shipper's time is free are living in the past.

I bought a golf club earlier this week. It was 3 miles from my house and my son couldn't wait so I piced it up. We would have picked it up Sunday night if they had been there (yes, I called.) They said, "we have a $5 pickup fee". I said no problem. I went to their office. They had about 2000 sq ft rented for their auction business (more than just clubs). I sat on a couch in a waiting room and read Golf digest until they brought it out. Now ebay is sending me reminders to pay (I paid cash) so I'm going to have to bother them to go mark it paid (they marked it shipped but forgot to mark it paid).

You probably don't think they deserve the $5. I gave them 5 stars.

--Jerry
    you mean you didnt agree to the $5 fee and then hit them in the back with a lower than five star rating ? wow ! finally someone with a little integrity. the hockey game (as i see it) is about the rationale for dinging someone after the sale. is it fair to ding them over something that should have been (but was not) discussed prior to the sale ? i say no but i see that i am in the minority, as most here believe it is OK to "get even" with a less than five star rating because they felt that they should have gotten more out of the deal than was represented.
    ebaybuyer...you seem to have taken this as a personal vendetta.....wonder how much this mirrors what happens to you on ebay and, with your responses, maybe we can ascertain why.
    As for blocking me....go to town and do it image I don't mind in the list. First, I seriously doubt that you have what I would want. And, even if you did, there are others out there that are certainly more even keeled and better to deal with.

It's pretty cool that you condone a seller listing something unknown on their ebay sale ("discount for additional items" but no exact discount note) and are fine with them abusing the USPS shipping box system (instead of paying what they are supposed to for using that box, they hide the box in wrapping and pay half the price, thereby ripping off the USPS, WILLINGLY), and are fine with them giving 10% off for what is likely less than a buck extra in shipping/ins, at the most, and thereby charging an excess amount for an addin to a shipment that they were already going to do). Bravo for you image

If they shipped it with the full USPS price for the box used, and added a couple of bucks for the additional item, they still would have made money (not as much) and I seriously doubt the OP would have started the thread.

Enough by me....you obviously have a chip on your shoulder and a vendetta against ebay buyers (ironic, given your monicker), so, go to town image
    (not an alt for a previously banned member, are you? image )

Bochiman, show at least a shred of proof of what you are acusing me of, ie where i condone the seller for anything??? you may want to re-read the posts as you are either very confused about the issue and prefer just making up BS as you type, or you are a complete idiot. what i said was, and if you cant understand this, get someone to read it to you, the terms of the transaction, (shipping is a term) should be discussed prior to the sale, if you find you do not agree with the terms you should not buy the item, it is underhanded to buy it anyway and get back at the seller by dinging him for anything that was not discussed prior to the salke, that is not condoning anything, that is common sense, which you obviously lack
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

<< <i>Bochiman, show at least a shred of proof of what you are acusing me of, ie where i condone the seller for anything??? you may want to re-read the posts as you are either very confused about the issue and prefer just making up BS as you type, or you are a complete idiot. what i said was, and if you cant understand this, get someone to read it to you, the terms of the transaction, (shipping is a term) should be discussed prior to the sale, if you find you do not agree with the terms you should not buy the item, it is underhanded to buy it anyway and get back at the seller by dinging him for anything that was not discussed prior to the salke, that is not condoning anything, that is common sense, which you obviously lack >>

You have some serious issues my friend. I suggest professional help. Drugs have come a long way so don't just dismiss them out of hand.

BTW: If someone did not understand something, having someone read it to them would not help. You are talking about a comprehension issue, not a reading issue. They would need someone to "explain" it to them. Kind of like what we are trying to do to you with this subject (but not getting very far). A reading issue would simply be stated as, "If you can't read". But of course, if they are reading that, then they don't have a reading issue so it is somewhat of a paradox.

Is English your first language? If not , I recommend a "English as a second language" course. You can find them all over. BTW: You can look up some of the $5 words that are in my post by using "Google". Good luck!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Another shipping fight/thread!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
    your $5 words may impress you but well, at least you are impressed. i wont be intimidated by someone that hides behind a computer bla bla bla i wish i could say that i really cared what any of you idiots thought, but the fact is... i dont. you want to attack me because i dont subscribe to the mainstream belief that a buyer should be able to negotiate the terms of the sale, after the sale. well i do not need or want your approval stamp on my opinion.
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Gawd, I've created a M-O-N-S-T-E-R image
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

<< <i>your $5 words may impress you but well, at least you are impressed. i wont be intimidated by someone that hides behind a computer bla bla bla i wish i could say that i really cared what any of you idiots thought, but the fact is... i dont. you want to attack me because i dont subscribe to the mainstream belief that a buyer should be able to negotiate the terms of the sale, after the sale. well i do not need or want your approval stamp on my opinion. >>

Quoted for posterity.
    you didnt create anything obi, you did what you felt you should do, my words are for the two morons that are attacking me personally because i dont share in thier idiocy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file