Home U.S. Coin Forum

A little guess the grade Frankie Style! :) Coppercolor got it right!

Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
A nice 1959 D Franklin Half, just got this one back with a few others. I still don't see what they are seeing.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• Nice Franklin. I will suggest IMHO it looks every bit a 67 with No FBL.

But what do I know?

I know I like that Frankie
    RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
  • Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many marks on that puppy for a 67.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I like the subtle toning in the crescent, take a shot at MS-65 and since you went to the trouble to include a larger image of the bell lines, go ahead and give it the FBL also.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63 tops
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say 64 and the hits on the lines kept it from a FBL.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    64 fbl
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    64fbl
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd give it a 63, non-FBL, but it probably got a 64.
    imageimage

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭
    64FBL

• 64FBL or 65 FBL depending on how the scratch in the field near IN looks in hand.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    MS65FBL
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64FBL
    LCoopie = Les
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Likely a 65, although 64 would not surprise me. FBL at PCGS, 50/50 FBL at NGC.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going with 64...haven't nearly mastered the FBL question so I'll abstain on that one. (My WAG is no FBL).
  • docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    MS64FBL
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64FBL.. pretty maybe a64+?
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    You guys are way off!! and I was being a little decitful image This coin didn't get a numerical grade, so now figure out what PCGS called it... hint it is in a GENNIE SLAB

I honestly don't believe or concur with the host's on this one. She is infact a super nice coin that I think should have atleast merited a 64FBL grade. I got hammered this past week at the graders. They beat me up image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • By the picture I cant tell why it slabbed as "genuine". If i had to venture a guess I would say scratched (obverse to the left of Franklin's hair. But the lighting makes it hard to guage.

I still don't think it would have gone above 63 (no offense) but a half dollar is too small a coin to grade above a 63 with that many marks IMHO.

I think it looks FBL, experts correct me if I'm wrong, but contact marks CAN interfere with bell lines on the frankie and still achieve the FBL designation

imageimage
  • so what's the explanation for getting a genuine slab? btw, does PCGS automatically add FBL to a graded coin that merits the designation?
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Bagged for AT.
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Could it be the infamous "wheel damage" if that's what its' called, that graders seem to enjoy using

Was going through a role of 53D lincs last night and had one selected for the 66 shot/67 pile until at just the right angle this very long skidmark appeared out of nowwhere. My first counting wheel encounter
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • what exactly is that wheel/machine damage that seems to ruin many a good coin?
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Could it be the infamous "wheel damage" if that's what its' called, that graders seem to enjoy using

Was going through a role of 53D lincs last night and had one selected for the 66 shot/67 pile until at just the right angle this very long skidmark appeared out of nowwhere. My first counting wheel encounter >>

You Got It!! They said machine damage...but I am not seeing it. Looks like any bag mark that I have ever seen... 99 to 1 says if I send it in raw again that it will grade on the second go around!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file