Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Two 1954 Topps Ted Williams--One Bumped to 8.5

On my blog(see http://musicandsportscard.blogspot.com)is a picture of the two Ted Williams cards from the 1954 Topps set--card #1 and card #250.

Card #1 was bumped to an 8.5 and rightly so in my opinion as its a beauty--pop 5 with 5 higher. Card #250 was not bumped and rightly so but I had to try.

The rest of the 248 PSA 8 cards in the set will be submitted to PSA this Monday.

Beautiful set and great cards of one of the best hitters that ever lived.

Jim

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    That's a great bump, Jim. Congratulations!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim,
    Congrats on the Teddy Ballgame. I have a serious question for you and don't want to sound too harsh....but if you are sending whole sets to PSA it seems as though you're admitting there really is no criteria for the 8.5 except for just totally random selection by the graders. I have to admit that the one's I've owned that have bumped have not necessarily been the best ones of the submissions. I'd like to hear your take on this as to why you don't just send the cream of the crop (although your crop is awesome). Either way, you have a wonderful collection and your passion for set collecting is admirable.

Mickey71image
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

Congrats on the bump.

I was very lucky as a kid to see him play in Fenway on a few wonderful Summer nights with my dad. Unfotunately his relationship with the fans wasn't so hot. He never tipped his cap to the fans...then in the 1996 All-Star gane (pretty sure it was 1996), his idiot son made him wear a "hitters.com" cap instead of a Red Sox cap. His son was hawking a website he owned at the time. Thankfully and to the joy of those in attendance he took his cap off and waved. A tiny gesture that meant so much to so many Red Sox fans.

When you think of the sacrifice this man made as a Marine Corps pilot in WWII, he was truly an American icon, patriot, fisherman par excellance, and absoltuely superb hitter, none better...NONE. I cringe at the thought of where he is now in that damn cryogenic lab. Check his bio and see what he did in the Marine Corps...voluntarily, as did many others. What a helluva guy!!!

BTW, Happy New Year...next time you visit that property on the big water north of Atlanta, would love to meet and sip some Jack Daniels with ya. PM me if that's doable maybe in the Springtime or Summer.

Regards,
    Al - Teddy Ballgame - mcmlvtopps
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Al,

Great post--great story. He certainly was one of the best hitters of all time.

I will let you know next time I am in Atlanta.

Mickey,

Not exactly. Every card I have that gets bumped looks like it should have been bumped. However, many that are not bumped also look equally good.

I don't look at the cards under magnification. I suppose I could just take those out that look like they disqualify based on centering or a minor touch on one of the corners but it is easier for me this way. Early on, I just gave them my superstar cards for review--now I am fiving them 2-4 sets at a time depending on size. I either give them to them when I am in Cali or when they are out east I find a way to give them cards. Eventually, I will have given them all of my graded psa 8s for review.

Thanks for the compliment.

Marc,

Thank you and thanks for posting the scans. I like card #1 more each time I look at it.

Jim
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Oddly enough, I like the one that didn't get bumped better. Maybe it is the registration. Not sure. Both are gorgeous, but that #250 is sweet!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim ... congrats on a THREE GRAND bump! That will pay for another 750 or so reviews! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim that is awesome but please don't take offense to this but if I was the grader I would not have given the #1 card a bump. Don't get me wrong it is nice to get a gift here and there.

SL
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Shane I can see your point--certainly not a clearcut bump. Top left corner has a touch.

Card #250 is cut at a slight angle and centering for 8.5 questionable at the top.

Thanks Doug--that would imply I do better than my 6-8% bump rate so I hope so.

Jim