Home U.S. Coin Forum

dumb question about hairlines on morgans

SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
Can you get hairlines on a Morgan (a bunch) on an MS coin only in the fields and not on the devices (eg, cheek, eagle). I think I have a PL coin, but the fields are all hairlined. Lines seem to be going in multiple directions, mostly vertical though (not X'd or + style). What is the difference between cleaning leaving hairlines and die-polish marks? If anyone has pics, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

SurfinxHI

edited to add: hairlines are only visible under magnification (about 5x, and positively at 10x).
Dead people tell interesting tales.

Comments

• garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Without photos, you may be describing die polish lines.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die-polish marks are raised---they result when coins are struck from old dies that have been polished (this leaves hairlines in the dies, into which metal flows from a blank/planchet, resulting in raised lines on the coins). These are mint-made, and should not affect the grade.

Hairlines appear on the surface of a coin as a result of careless cleaning. They are not considered mint-made marks, and will affect the grade (they are a key reason for the net grading of proof coins down to grades like PF62-64). In many cases, the extensive hairlining will result in no grade ('Genuine') by a TPG.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Field hairlines stop just short of the design elements, while polish lines run all the way up to the elements, and usually continue on the other side.
    Cleaning lines won't be inside letters and dates but die polish lines will.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file