Home Sports Talk
Options

ESPN's 2011 HoF ballot revealed...

digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
ESPN has 18 guys with HoF votes.

link to ESPN ballot totals

Barry Stanton voted for 5 guys (out of a possible 10): Jack Morris, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Don Mattingly, and B.J. Surhoff (!?!?).

It appears that Mr. Stanton did his HoF voting with a dart board.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>ESPN has 18 guys with HoF votes.

link to ESPN ballot totals

Barry Stanton voted for 5 guys (out of a possible 10): Jack Morris, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Don Mattingly, and B.J. Surhoff (!?!?).

It appears that Mr. Stanton did his HoF voting with a dart board. >>

That's about 19 more voters than they deserve. Yes, I said 19. image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Stanton thought he was voting for the Hall of Good? LOL

brian
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Stanton's voting credentials need to be revoked.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW. Not taken seriously by this jackass voter.
  • Options

<< <i>WOW. Not taken seriously by this jackass voter. >>

Problem is, HE probably doesn't take it seriously. The Surhoff vote is probably either a water cooler bit around Bristol or a prelude to a column/blog post.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I think he saw the ballot and said Sure, HOF and someone wrote it down as Surhoff.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>I think he saw the ballot and said Sure, HOF and someone wrote it down as Surhoff. >>

----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    And you guys wonder why I get upset about these guys??

Look, ESPN is an entertainment network. The guys hired there are hired for their story creating/story breaking abilities, NOT their ability to research and analyze baseball players. Most of those guys don't have any business voting for the HOF...unless they get the proper training to do so. They are lazy, and do not do the proper research...and many are fooled by their own fairy tale stories as well.

Some are also hired because of their writing abilities, again, nothing to do with the task at hand.

Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options

<< <i>And you guys wonder why I get upset about these guys??

Look, ESPN is an entertainment network. The guys hired there are hired for their story creating/story breaking abilities, NOT their ability to research and analyze baseball players. Most of those guys don't have any business voting for the HOF...unless they get the proper training to do so. They are lazy, and do not do the proper research...and many are fooled by their own fairy tale stories as well.

Some are also hired because of their writing abilities, again, nothing to do with the task at hand. >>

Umm, wouldn't that last sentence apply to the entire membership of BBWA??
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to back up just a bit. 4 of the 5 are humanly possible for a person to vote for....and that's considering Tino very highly. Still crazy.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And you guys wonder why I get upset about these guys??

Some are also hired because of their writing abilities, again, nothing to do with the task at hand. >>

Umm, wouldn't that last sentence apply to the entire membership of BBWA?? >>

Yes it would.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    There are a number of players that could be voted in that would be well above the Mendoza line for the Hall. Let's just hope that the CORRECT players get voted in.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Umm, wouldn't that last sentence apply to the entire membership of BBWA?? >>

Prior to being hired by ESPN, Stanton was fired from Journal News for plagarism.

Why he is still a member of the BBWAA is beyond me. He is a disgrace.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Prior to being hired by ESPN, Stanton was fired from Journal News for plagarism.

Why he is still a member of the BBWAA is beyond me. He is a disgrace. >>

He should have plagiarized his ballot.
    Always looking for T59 Flags.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>I think he saw the ballot and said Sure, HOF and someone wrote it down as Surhoff. >>

I think he was confused and voted for his favorite Vodka
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Some are also hired because of their writing abilities, again, nothing to do with the task at hand.

pretty sure the only prerequisite is one has to have been employed as a baseball "writer" for 10 years. No one is getting a vote due to their "writing abilities".
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Why would Stanton publicly humiliate himself like that.

His choice of Bj Surhoff and Tino Martinez is highly suspect. Not voting for 10 players shows he is lazy or super incompetent.

I think the real intent of the BWAA was to have a staff of writers that also have an indepth knowledge of baseball so they can be more effective at articulating a baseball story. Now it seems like there is no quality control from the human resource front. This is sad, really sad.

I wish someone like Bill James or even our own Saberman was part of the voting body. At least I know they would spend some time crunching the numbers and then look into sportsmanship and character for their final assessments.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Thanks DeutscherGeist image

Lanemyer, I know they don't get to vote because of their writing abilities....they get hired to their job because of it.

Their writing abilities are good.

Their baseball evaluating is NOT as awesome a spectacle as Lane Myer was on the slopes image
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    SWEET! A vote for Surhoffimage He is one of the players I collect. I remember when another player I collect got one vote his only year on the ballot (Walt Weiss)--We all know neither of these guys deserve the Hall of Fame--but it still adds a smile to my face that they got a small token of respect from some sports writer who also knew they had no chance (but possibly felt they should not get the big "goose egg" zero votes). That is my guess of why Barry Stanton may have thrown away a vote on Surhoff--just a slight show of "feel good" respect so that Surhoff would not have zero votes. Is that so wrong?

I don't think that one errant vote will actually prevent any qualified HOF worthy player from getting in--will it?

p.s. Of all the baseball players I collect (see signature), only 9 are in the Hall of Fame.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Why would Stanton publicly humiliate himself like that.

His choice of Bj Surhoff and Tino Martinez is highly suspect. Not voting for 10 players shows he is lazy or super incompetent.

I think the real intent of the BWAA was to have a staff of writers that also have an indepth knowledge of baseball so they can be more effective at articulating a baseball story. Now it seems like there is no quality control from the human resource front. This is sad, really sad.

I wish someone like Bill James or even our own Saberman was part of the voting body. At least I know they would spend some time crunching the numbers and then look into sportsmanship and character for their final assessments. >>

You realize even the majority of major writers don't vote for 10 each year, right? JoePo has spoken about it more than once.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I should start setting aside 1987 Topps rack packs with the Surhoff Future Stars card on top?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>So I should start setting aside 1987 Topps rack packs with the Surhoff Future Stars card on top? >>

I'm making top and bottom ones in my garage as we speak.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the real intent of the BWAA was to have a staff of writers that also have an indepth knowledge of baseball so they can be more effective at articulating a baseball story. >>

You only need to be a member of BBWAA for 10 years to become a HOF voter.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>You realize even the majority of major writers don't vote for 10 each year, right? JoePo has spoken about it more than once. >>

Based on the ESPN ballots linked to above, the ESPN writers had a total of 180 votes to give, but only cast 108 of them.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25