Home U.S. Coin Forum

How rare is nice rainbow toning on clad halves? * UPDATED WITH PICTURES *

Specifically Bi-centennial Halves ....

Updated, here are the photos that i took real quick...not the best pictures and the coin looks much better in hand.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Bi-centennial Halves from what I have seen are uncommon with legitimate rainbow tone as are most all clad halves. They are often a mellow golden tone though for whatever reason the 76 coins seem to tone like that.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I have a monster concentric rainbow toned 1976 half that I just got back from the graders. It is a 62 which I think was harsh but she is very pretty. I will post a picture when I get a chance. I used to have 2 of these that were purchased from the same set. I wish I still had the other one.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are uncommon.

Looking forward to the pics!
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • If stored in the right album/holder rainbow toning can form on them but I would think it would be exceedingly rare as clad business strikes typically don't tone up to well outside of the SMS coins.
    I will try and get you guys a picture tonight. I had PCGS holder the coin reverse out because it is the money side on this one. The obv toned differently. I have had this coin for years. If I remember right I purchased the set in an old cardboard holder. The penny was bright hot majenta.

• aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Hello,

Not sure about the 1976 halves but I see a lot of early to mid 70's halves that tone to a really nice "gunmetal" color. Sometimes the blue-gray tint is very uniform. Sometimes it is a sort of halo bluish toning.

I had one that looked completely copper, just like a large cent. I was sure it was copper and took it to the ANA museum. The guy examined it and said it was a half just like all the others. I am still sad I spent it.

I have a couple that toned to a camouflage pattern. Not too strong but enough that I kept them.

I still call my accumulation my collection!
    This is a total rainbow in every sense of the word. But what was odd is I wasn't aware that PCGS graded moderns MS-62??? I thought it was AU58 or MS63 and nothing in between... I know that they use the 60,61 and 62 grades for old gold.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a total rainbow in every sense of the word. But what was odd is I wasn't aware that PCGS graded moderns MS-62??? I thought it was AU58 or MS63 and nothing in between... I know that they use the 60,61 and 62 grades for old gold. >>

Any coin can get any grade. Most likely, the coin has very shiny, but not lustrous, surfaces. I've seen that a lot with the toned clads, especially on halves. You can tell there was probably once lustre, but it becomes glossy and loses the cartwheel effect when toned.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have a bicentennial 3 piece set in a picture frame somewhere with all 3 coins having interesting toning

I will need to find it and determine if they are silver clad or nickel clad

there just were not many holders around in 1975 and later made with that cheap sulfur paper that was abundant in the more distant past

it is all about storage conditions for naturally toned coins

can't wait for your pics upon coins return
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is a 62 which I think was harsh but she is very pretty. >>

That means PCGS was iffy on the color, but not iffy enough to bag it.

Russ, NCNE
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It is a 62 which I think was harsh but she is very pretty. >>

That means PCGS was iffy on the color, but not iffy enough to bag it.

Russ, NCNE >>

Agreed.
    I doubt it, I am pretty sure they will either gennie it or not. I think the strike is a bit soft for this date.

• NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Do clads, once they start toning, tone at a faster rate, slower rate, or pretty much the same rate, as silver? I only ask as, obviously, the composition is completely different, and I can't see them toning at the same rate.
    I'll come up with something.

<< <i>Do clads, once they start toning, tone at a faster rate, slower rate, or pretty much the same rate, as silver? I only ask as, obviously, the composition is completely different, and I can't see them toning at the same rate. >>

I honestly don't know the answer to that question. Then again I'm not sure... hehehe j/k! image

• i think they are fairly common IMO. I have plenty of clad halves with rainbow toning on them, as well as quarters. It just depends where they are stored.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    How about this one? MS 67+ (Pop 1/0)

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

<< <i>How about this one? MS 67+ (Pop 1/0)

image >>

That is not a rainbow toned piece.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    imageimage

From my 1965 mint set only the quarter & dime are the ones that toned, the rest of the coins are all blast white, except for the cent....Weird....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    You would have to see it in person. How about these?
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Nice toners you have there but I am talking about actual ROYGBIV Rainbow colors.... where you can distiguish each individual color. The silver coins you posted arn't clad and are more common to this type of toning IMHO. Those are some Nice color toners!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file