Home U.S. Coin Forum

Profound people in numismatics?

Who would consider to be the most profound members of the numismatic community?

Comments

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    QDB would be a living one. For all his faults, Breen would probably be up there.

Also . . . there are a few on these Boards right now that I would consider profound, particularly in their own areas of expertise. I can instantly know anything I want by just a simple PM, and I can reach the premier numismatists in specialty areas . . right here. I won't list them, as most of you already know who they are and I don't want to leave anyone out.

Drunner
  • NicNic Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

BigMoose enters right up there for sure.

K
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russell Rulau in his arena knows no peers.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Mark Feld and Cladking come to my mind. -Dan
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭
    Eric P. Newman, certainly.

John Kraljevich deserves an honorable mention on this list as well, IMHO.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric Newman is at least a full generation older than most of todays dealers/collectors and numismatists.......he is in a league of his own.

What he has forgotten most have yet to learn.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll vote for Tom DeLorey and Roger Burdette.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not profound. I just read a lot and talk a lot.
    Mr. Burdette is profound.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    I have a feeling that there are lots of numismatists that have this quality! Thanks for enlightening we that need it. It definitely is fodder for knowledge! -Dan
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I am not profound. I just read a lot and talk a lot.
    Mr. Burdette is profound.
    TD

Not much profundity here, either – mostly confusion.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prolific? Yes, there are a few.

Profound? Um...not so many. Philip Grierson would be near the top of the list, but alas he is no longer alive. I also think Eric Newman is right up there.

There is a significant difference between those who are "just smart" and those who are profound.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    Okay, I think that you guys are putting a little more into the question than you should. For one, The question is very broad and somewhat interpretive to the person. Yes, I can agree with everyone you have "nominated", but to be honest with you, everyone that is more knowledgeable than most falls into this category could very well be someone that is on these boards. Especially, considering the fact that some of the persons cannot even figure out how to get onto these boards. I respect any and every numismatist that has ever been, but it ends when you cannot communicate your information. Unless, you are prolific and spouting off your say so. ie: some numismatists who have written books, but have never really furthered the hobby, except for there greedy, self promotions. I am just saying.... -Dan
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry Shepherd imo..................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i`ll vote for bear
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R.W. Julian is kewl.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Virgil Brand
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learn a little something from most. Profuddity excluded.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Warren Mills
  • Well, if you've read this week's Coin World, Daniel Carr comes off sounding pretty profound, and I'd have to agree.
  • Shrub68Shrub68 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    As a dealer, I've learned to keep my mouth shut ( Those of you who know me, I can hear you laughing now!) and my eyes and ears open. The people who I admire the most and consider friends are John Dannreuther, Bill Shamhart, Vic Bozarth, and of course my table partners Larry Cundari and Dennis King.
  • Shrub68Shrub68 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I left out Larry Shepperd.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file