Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does the 1-70 Sheldon scale apply to all segments of the hobby?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
Or does a different grading system exist for some segments of the hobby?

For example, ancient coins.

To me applying a 1-70 scale to ancient coins [i.e. roman or greek coins over 2,000 years old] seems in appropriate. How could one say with any credibility that one of these coins should be graded an MS65, an EF45, a VF12 or an
AG 3?

Comments

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Ancient coins are graded on a I to LXX, scale of course! A extremely fine coin would be EF VL, for example!image
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    To give you a real answer, almost no ancients are encapsulated. I rarely see one graded. Usually they will be graded adjectivally ( Very Fine, Choice Very Fine for example) by the dealer. At least for the ancients I buy grading is not very controversial, probably as they all have been buried for two thousand years and then cleaned before selling.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭

Ironically, I've wondered if the Sheldon scale is really applicable to large cents given there are such large differences between EAC rules and TPG rules.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "Sheldon" system of grading was only valid for a short period of time in the middle of the 20th century. Once the pricing of large cents no longer fit the "numbers" (e.g. a "fine (12)" large cent sold for three times a "good (4)" large cent - and to be exact it was primarily based on 1794 cents), the "Sheldon" system was meaningless.

But the 70 point grading scale (called the "Sheldon scale") has been forced into most parts of the hobby, including paper notes...even ancients (which is humorous in its absurdity) are graded by TPGs on this scale.

A different grading system does exist in the hobby for ancients (adjective grades) and early coppers (EAC grading), but the TPGs stick with the 70 point grading; likely to make it "easier" for collectors to understand.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file