Home U.S. Coin Forum

Banks and coins

Went to a large bank here and asked for half dollars and dimes. The teller told me I could not get them unless I banked there. Anyone else have this experience? Just asked for $100 in dimes and $6.50 in halfs. Went to another branch of the same bank with no problem.

Comments

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Policy is most likely "only customers get change". Some tellers likely ignore it. Tellers in busy or coin starved branches OR sticklers for the rules are probably the ones telling you no.

It's like asking for some hot mustard for your fries at mcdonalds. Some of them are going to try to charge you 25 cents for it.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOT MUSTARD FOR FRIES AT MCDONALDS!!

are U serious OMG can you pleeeeze tell us more? image
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    its like TD bank now requires you to have an account to use the penny arcade without any fees. BUT if you have an account there you dont have to pay the 6% fee. the guy from a local TD bank saw me walk in with 3 cans of coins to cash in and had the biggest smile on his face since he thought i was gonna have to pay for all my pennies and halves i was cashing in. So he helped with the bags ( disgruntled like usual) then when i went to cash out he says looks like we have to charge you a 6% penalty for using our machine without an account. You could have seen the vein on his head ready to explode when he learned that I had an account and my mocking smile didnt help it. Its just this 1 guy at this 1 bank that has it out to make my life hard. I think thats partly the reason why I go there. The girl at another bank always order what i want cause shes friendly cute and we have an agreement what ever she orders and sells to me doesnt get cashed in at her bank. Shes like Ill help you if you help me. So I figured that was fair enough.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the type of day that the teller is having and if the manager is in listening distance.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Hello,

Yes!

I have been asked many times if I had an account. If I wasn't, they wouldn't give me change.

I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...an occasional box of chocolates helps a lot. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Back when I was bank mining in a big way, hitting the small towns here in SWGA, most were more than glad to get rid of the halves that they had sitting in the vault . . . Sometimes for years!
    A few however would throw that "had to be a customer" line on me. I would then be sickingly sweet & flash these big ol'brown puppy dog eyes at her & more often than not she would come up with something like " Well we really do need to get those halves out of the vault" . . . imageimage

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • First time it happened to me. She did look around so the manager must have been snooping around.

• << <i>Back when I was bank mining in a big way, hitting the small towns here in SWGA, most were more than glad to get rid of the halves that they had sitting in the vault . . . Sometimes for years!
    A few however would throw that "had to be a customer" line on me. I would then be sickingly sweet & flash these big ol'brown puppy dog eyes at her & more often than not she would come up with something like " Well we really do need to get those halves out of the vault" . . . imageimage

HH >>

Yeah. alot of the tellers give the "customer only" excuse. If you are charming enough, they may let you image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file