Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is strike/ejection/machine doubling?

Morgan dollars is my main focus on this subject, but the same principles and terms might apply to other coins as well?

What is the difference between machine doubling and strike doubling?

Are there still more different types of doubling other than what is found on the dies themselves?

Most importantly, does there seem to be a prevalence to machine/strike doubling in either weakly or strongly struck coins? On coins of certain years or mints? Does there seem to be a connection anywhere?

I have also heard of a thing called 'ejection doubling'.... what is that? Is it predominantly only on the reverse or can it be on the obverse as well?

Comments

• I think of ejection, machine and strike doubling as all being different terms for the same thing.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    A very good question, I will answer in part.

Machine doubling is subject to any coin that has been struck with a mechanically driven anvil & hammer, from cents to dollars. Screw type presses did not create this effect, because the operation is much slower and deliberate.

Vibrations in the press can cause tightened fittings to become loose or out of adjustment, and as the planchet is struck, there is a slight shift which can be seen mostly on the numbers and letters. The shelf-like appearance, which is periodic in nature, is a dead give away that you have machine doubling and not a doubled die that would appear exactly the same on every coin.

There is no rhyme or reason for machine doubling to be more prevalent on the obverse or reverse, it can happen to either side and is random in nature.

Of course corrections are always encouraged.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I think strike doubling, machine doubling, ejection doubling are all about the same.
    They all happen when the coin is struck and might be caused by a die that's loose or a coin that bounces back into the die as it ejects.
    These are all strike errors.
    (most likely these add no premium)

Doubled dies are created when the die is made so all coins from that die will have the same doubling and can't make any normal coins.
    They are die varieties.
    (adds some premium)

Some other types of doubling that are different would be:

A double struck coin, when the coin gets fully double struck and could be rotated or even flipped in between the strikes.
    These are strike errors.
    (adds some premium)

Abrasion doubling is most likely from polishing or cleaning the die.
    These are more like die states, if extreme they might be considered an error.
    Someone might call it a variety since all coins from a certain point will have it the same but it wasn't on the die when it was made so I wouldn't call it a die variety.
    (might add some premium)

Erosion doubling or die fatigue is from wear to the die from the metal flowing from use. It often shows going to the rim or away from the details in both directions.
    These are more like die states, if extreme they might be considered an error.
    (might add some premium but not likely)

Longacre doubling only shows on some of his designs. It might be designed into the coins or it an artifact of the way they made the dies.
    (no premium, it's normal)

<< <i>Most importantly, does there seem to be a prevalence to machine/strike doubling in either weakly or strongly struck coins? On coins of certain years or mints? Does there seem to be a connection anywhere? >>

Some coins/years have a lot of it like 53-57 cents were plagued by it. Maybe at certain points the mint didn't keep things maintained well or they were in a frenzy to pump out a lot of coins.
    I'm not sure if weakly or strongly struck matters but for abrasion or die fatigue doubling it would be most likely on a well used die.

Feel free to add or clarify this image
    Ed
  • This is not my personal observation, but I have read that the ordinary reverse of the silver Washington quarter (type A) was rather immune to this doubling due to its low relief and no sharp edges to the design. Mintmarks there were another story though as were proofs (type B).
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought strike/machine/Ejection doubling are all interchangeable? Maybe I'm wrong...
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Hmmm….”Machine doubling” occurs late at night, when all the workers have gone home and the guards are munching donuts and drinking coffee. Two of the machines will get together, watch videos about oil and lubricant and gears and screws and other dirty stuff, and then make a duplicate. This is called “machine doubling.”

The duplicate machine is usually put in an inconspicuous spot so the workers won’t notice what has been going on. This happens in the Navy, too. But it has a different name.
  • LewyLewy Posts: 594
    Thanks very much everyone...... I was wondering if it was all just semantics, until Roger found a way to relate it to everyday life.... makes me wonder further ..image

I do appreciate it..... everyone.image
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...some stuff here, lewy. link 1 link 2 hope this helps. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Lewy - You're welcome! The archives are filled with amazing stuff that isn't there and never was!
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm….”Machine doubling” occurs late at night, when all the workers have gone home and the guards are munching donuts and drinking coffee. Two of the machines will get together, watch videos about oil and lubricant and gears and screws and other dirty stuff, and then make a duplicate. This is called “machine doubling.” >>

I think I saw a cartoon version of this made in the 40's right after WWII, I think it might have inspired "Night at the Museum"
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have also heard of a thing called 'ejection doubling'.... what is that? Is it predominantly only on the reverse or can it be on the obverse as well? >>

Ejection doubling is where the metal of the design elements are pulled sideways and upwards as the coin is dragged away from the die during ejection. I'm not qualified to say if it's most predominate on the rev or obv.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Strike doubling is synoymous with machine doubling, mechanical doubling, machine damage doubling, machine doubling damage, ejection doubling, shift doubling, etc.

Two forms are recognized. "Push doubling" involves a bounce of the die and produces marginal shelving. No bounce occurs in "slide doubling". Here the design is smeared. Some slide doubling can be caused by a coin sticking during ejection, but it is indistinguishable from slide doubling caused by die movement.

Most cases of machine doubling are due to a loose or vibrating die or an unstable die assembly. It can occur on the obverse face, the reverse face, or both faces simultaneously. You can have up to four staggered sets of shelves on one face. Machine doubling in two or three different directions can occur on the same face.

I find it a rather interesting phenomenon, especially in its most severe forms.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
    Yes, thank you.... semantics seems to be the major player here..... I too like the concept of vibration ... quite insightful.

<< <i>You can have up to four staggered sets of shelves on one face. Machine doubling in two or three different directions can occur on the same face. >>

I would find that highly interesting..... any idea as to where I might find images?

Thanks again everyone ! image

...i thought my links had some, lewy. perhaps i'm mistaken. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
    Oh yes Tahoe.... My apologies......image... I totally missed the links before..... Boones Farm does that to a person..... (well, that's my excuse anyway).

Thanks for the photos..... I do very much appreciate them.... Have you seen the four stage doubling or the multi-directional effect that errormaven spoke of ? Those are what I am attempting to hunt down images of now.

...here's another link lewy. it may help you further in

your knowledge of this subject. image hth
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link Trail Dies and Wavy Steps I think the "Trail Dies" might be synonymous with what errormaven referred to as "Slide Doubling". This webpage goes into quite a bit of detail about the subject with some amazing pictures!

Cheers!

Kirk

P.S. Thanks for posting Lewy, this has been a very educational thread with all the responses! image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
    Awesome links Tahoe and DieClash.... just super. Thanks so much.

Weiss, what a coin.... Is that S tripled? It sure looks like it from my house. image

I've been gone from here for a while..... kinda forgot what I have been missing at this site .... (Oh yeah, the people, the sharing, the silliness)... I think I'll hang out for a while.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file