Home U.S. Coin Forum

DBQ type coin opinions

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭
Hey guys and gals, what do you think of this Draped Bust Quarter as a type coin? Grade? All opinions welcomed! Thanks

imageimage

Comments

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean by "As a type coin"?

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be Fine 12 with that as a type coin...
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot..as a f-12, and maybe even as a f-15.

Tom

• Although I like the deatail on the coin, I find the reverse light patches (which are likely PVC damage) to be distracting. As a type coin, I would hold out for a more wholesome example.

merse

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a nice coin, and I have a feeling I know where you bought it. Was it from DJF coins on ebay?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for the eye appeal at all.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a nice coin, and I have a feeling I know where you bought it. Was it from DJF coins on ebay? >>

I do not own this coin. I'm just "in the market," and considering this one image
    It's tough to find certified DBQ's in this grade. Most of the certified VG coins look terribly worn (more like G4 to me,) but this one looks quite detailed for a VG10.

• I think that's a fine example for a lower grade B-3. B-3's do tend to have bad strikes in the center for what i can tell, if it was a higher grade coin i would look for another variety, but being a VG coin it looks nice. This is probably the easiest variety to obtain. I guess it depends on what your goals are. I think for the price your getting a great coin. Anything under $750 I think would be great.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't care for the eye appeal at all. >>

Agree. Not a particularly attractive coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Not terrible, but mediocre eye appeal. A bit too dark and splotchy. For a type coin, look for a better strike and a little more pizazz. Be patient, yet persistent.

• << <i>It's tough to find certified DBQ's in this grade. Most of the certified VG coins look terribly worn (more like G4 to me,) but this one looks quite detailed for a VG10. >>

It looks quite detailed for a VG10 because it has Fine details. It was net graded down due to the PVC damage negatively impacting the eye appeal. I would strongly advise a nice VG10, if that is what you are in the market for, instead of a net-graded coin. You will probably be much happier with a wholesome coin in the long run, both numismatically and financially.

merse

I'm confused. If there was PVC damage on the coin's surface...so bad that PCGS had to net grade it down, then why did it grade at all? Shouldn't it have been BB'd?

As far as the negative eye-appeal, well I guess that's pretty subjective. I think this coin has great eye-appeal! But is there's surface damage to the coin then I don't want it. That's one of the reasons I buy PCGS coins...so I don't have to worry about getting a damaged coin!
  • PCGS will not grade a coin that has active PVC - that is still chemically corroding the surface of the coin. However, if a coin was exposed to PVC, and then dipped in acetone to remove the PVC residue, the coin may be graded if the damage was not severe.

With PVC on silver coins, if the coin stayed for quite a while in a PVC filp, the high points of the coin would be most damaged - where they actually came into contact with the flip. This ate away at the surface of the coin. The coin is left with flat areas of unnatural white-ish color on the high points. Sometimes on one side, sometimes on both.

Looking at the DBQ in question, the high points of the reverse, the eagle's head, tail, wings, talons, display classic signs on PVC damage. Most collector's find this unattractive. However, eye appeal is somewhat subjective, and if you find the coin attractive, then to each his own.

merse

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks OK to me. Not bad, but not terrific, either. Decent but not fantastic. I agree with the VG10 grade. I wouldn't have gone F12 on it, but it does have nice detail for a VG.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file