Home U.S. Coin Forum

1958D NGC Franklin MS67FBL on TT tonight - WOW!

This baby is already at $6000 on TT! NGC price list is $3,300.
Check it out!
58D Franklin MS67FBL

Similar thing is happening on Heritage FUN.
Is this a sign to come of increased values? Let's hope!
Coiny

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a sign to come of increased values?

i think it's a sign of increased Registry Set composition.
  • Being an NGC coin... it is likely a consignor with an unrealistic reserve.

It does look all there though.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • CoinyCoiny Posts: 711 ✭✭
    Thank goodness for registry competition if that is what is driving higher prices.
    Competition is a wonderful thing. Our economy is built on it.
    One of the great side benefits is that it drives innovation.

As it relates to coins, it translates all the way down the registry to everyman's sets as well.
    I continue to sell my duplicates/upgrades Franklins to registry owners of all grade sets. There is an active interested market there.

Coiny
  • Absolutely agree that there is a healthy uptick in the Franklin market. The collector base is quite large, and some day may actually overcome the influx of new gems.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, i guess it's exciting, but more than likely it's a combination of what the "Master" said and the fact that a couple of guys willing to pay for an extra point .................will. that doesn't mean prices are on the rise, but if it does it can't be a good thing for buyers. sellers, yes......................i guess that'd be you, right??image

the "BOOK" probably has as much to do with any perceived price rise as anything else, and i can't get too excited about a single example of one of the most populous dates in MS65+(FBL) grade in the series
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    comments will be welcome after the auction ..........and we find out it's a unrealistic reserve set by the seller and nobody won it

View this lot
    1958D Full Bell Lines NGC 67This is a toned coin as designated by Teletrade
    Superb Gem. Well struck. Pleasing surfaces. Attractively toned. This coin has Full Bell Lines a term applied only to Franklin half dollars when the lower sets of bell lines are complete on the reverse (FBL). Generally, very slight disturbance of several lines is acceptable. NGC has certified seven coins at this level with a mere two finer. (Pending)

..........pending means it did not sell
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt that this coin would cross at PCGS....but I have been wrong before. Doesn't look lustrous enough.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the luster?
  • If thats a 67 I would hate to see a 63! Unreal.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    unsold, ownership add several grand?
  • I have seen plenty of PCGS MS67's with this same look.

You really can't judge luster well from most TT pix.

I honestly don't see any problems with this being a 67. The BL's I would want to see in hand before agree/disagree with the strike designation, especially as an NGC coin.

If I had to speculate, I would guess that the coin was sent raw by the consignor. Once he got the grade he may have decided to add the coin to his holdings and placed a crazy bid to practically insure a buyback.

It would cost the consignor the same $100 buyback fee whether he won it back for $700 or $6,000.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a $75 coin to me. I think it's stupid to pay big money for a common date ugly mint set toned coin. For $75 I think a much more appealing coin could be found.
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a $75 coin to me. I think it's stupid to pay big money for a common date ugly mint set toned coin. For $75 I think a much more appealing coin could be found. >>

My instinct too. But this IS a very clean coin, and though we can't see it from the TT photos I'd bet it's got that powdery almost blue steel smooth cookie batter fields that can be very very attractive and which I see more on the early 60's Franklins, and 51S, 52S Franklins than on 58D's.

I'd like my copper well done please!
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I have owned over a hundred 1958 double mint sets and I know the look of this coin. It is nice but only $75 nice in my book.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Here is yet, another thread, which reminds posters that the bidding for Teletrade items is automatically raised, little by little, to the level of the reserve. And that occurs, even if no one else bids. A high price, posted prior to the end of the auction, doesn't necessarily mean anything, other than that the reserve is high.
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a $75 coin to me. I think it's stupid to pay big money for a common date ugly mint set toned coin. For $75 I think a much more appealing coin could be found. >>

+2

The coin doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Now, I'm a lover for lustrous franklins with gorgeous patina, even at the ms64 level.... but this one has neither.

The plastic holds all the power with a coin like this, IMO.
    "It is what it is."

• << <i>Looks like a $75 coin to me. I think it's stupid to pay big money for a common date ugly mint set toned coin. For $75 I think a much more appealing coin could be found. >>

But this is better than those eye-appealing MS66FBL's!

Don't you see!? It says MS67! It's one better!image

Oh man! I just crack myself up!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • This same coin has been on TT at least 4-5 times with the same high reserve and has not sold.

hummm..........could be house owned then ; bummer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file