Home U.S. Coin Forum

1877 Nickel worth $250: Here's an old Amos & Andy episode about a rare coin.

Comments

• droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Heh, I bet it was a Chinese counterfeit!

I actually remember seeing this episode on TV when they were still showing it in syndication in the mid-60s.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    But how did the nickel ever make it out of Jack Benny's vault?

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, watched the entire episode (3 parts on YouTube). Never would have imagined that is how I would have spent a portion of my Sunday night.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, watched the entire episode (3 parts on YouTube). Never would have imagined that is how I would have spent a portion of my Sunday night. >>

No doubt you love 'da' Kingfish as most folks do!!!!!! image
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No doubt you love 'da' Kingfish as most folks do!!!!!! image >>

When I was young, our family lived in New Orleans and Amos & Andy was still being shown on local TV in late afternoon syndication.

One day we were walking through the French Quarter and came upon an old African American gentleman who had imbibed a few too many and was slumped over on the sidewalk sleeping it off.

My younger brother went up to him wide eyed and asked: "Are you the Kingfish?"

My folks were mortified and hustled us out of the area real quick.

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    No business strike 1877 nickels, must have been a proof. A proof 60 after being used in so many phone booths. Maybe they took the rare date from the indian cent, but changed it to a nickel so it fit in with the plot of being spent on a phone call. Who knows-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    those old shows were never meant for tv. old time radio required an imagination
    that allowed you to create characters that were more amazing and funny then
    what you see on tv. tv restricts a person too much in my mind. that is why old time
    radio will never die.

one could walk the streets of a city and listen to the show from window to window
    during its hey day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file