Home U.S. Coin Forum

This Makes me Want to Sell all my Half Dimes

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
1829 Half Dime, PCGS AU58, PRL of $610 on ebay!

I watch auction prices religiously. I don't maintain a ledger of prices realized (I am not that organized), but I do have a darn good memory. The seller is top-notch, the photos show a very nice coin. The price realized just seems to be a bit high. I thought $450 to $475 would have been an appropriate price realized, since nice AU58s in PCGS holders generally sell in that range at retail if the seller knows his market. I generally see hefty PRLs for half dimes with colorful toning (Heritage, Rich Uhrich, Dick Osburn have all sold really cool, colorful examples for more!), so this coin, seemingly devoid of wild colors, is a blatant exception.

I'm valuing many of my AU58s at $375 for insurance purposes...maybe I need to reconsider?

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    It was a nice coin and I had it ended towards the high end of your estimate.
    Maybe I need to start buying nice AU-58's which haven't found expensive asking prices image
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I will have to put new price tags on the AU58s I'm bringing to sell at FUN?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But it was an ESTATE SALE!!!
    That makes it SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But it was an ESTATE SALE!!!
    That makes it SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!
    image >>

That must be it I was blown out of the water on two of their half dollars yesterday also. Bids were way over price guides too as I really wanted them.
    Or maybe half anythings are just now worth double.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not take this auction result to be an indicator of the half dime market. It's probably either the "PCGS AU58 factor" or else a typical estate sale with some "helpful" underbidders who happen to know the seller.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pics make the coin look slightly better than an au58.

Perhaps the bidders think the coin has a chance at an ms60 to ms62?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller said it looked Unc to them with no signs of wear. So bidders responded accordingly to a P/L Unc.

The reason it looks Unc is because most of the luster has been stripped away making the coin very uniform in color, hence better hiding the light, even wear.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's nice to see an occasional result like this if you have coins like this, but I don't think it warrants revaluing all AU58 bust half dimes. As you indicated, this is probably an anomoly. You can reprice your baby busties that you are taking to FUN, but I'd be surprised if any dealers would be paying much more than half of that auction result (that precludes those with spectacular eye appeal and/or high R-value pieces that I know you own). I know that if I could sell my large cents at Dan Holmes auction result prices, I probably would - but all else being equal, I know that in the open market they would be valued far lower. It's just nice to look at the coins I already have, and be grateful that I acquired them when I did and for what I paid.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller, David Kahn, has a strong following on eBay and many of his coins sell for above anticipated prices. He is a good guy with great service.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Ebay prices can have quite a spread. Some are low, some are high. all it takes are two buyers to bid against each other.

This coin appears to have good eye appeal and the photos are those kind that give you the impression that the coin is probably even nicer in hand.

Finally, the seller put of a very flowery and detailed description where he says he sees no wear = upgrade candidate if you believe him.

I don't think you can change the price guide based on this one.

--Jerry
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>The seller, David Kahn, has a strong following on eBay and many of his coins sell for above anticipated prices. He is a good guy with great service.

Lane >>

The seller has some of the better stuff of Ebay consistently and buyer tend to respond. I had to pay 1200 once to get a 900 coin that I had to have. (bid up by a forum member yet again)
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought $450 to $475 would have been an appropriate price realized

and it would have been, but this bidder ran it up. Still, wouldn't have happened without the winner's apparently nuclear bid. makes one wonder what his top price was

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That must be it I was blown out of the water on two of their half dollars yesterday also. Bids were way over price guides too as I really wanted them.
    Or maybe half anythings are just now worth double. >>

47 and 41-O I presume. I was after those as well
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The seller, David Kahn, has a strong following on eBay and many of his coins sell for above anticipated prices. He is a good guy with great service.

Lane >>

The seller has some of the better stuff of Ebay consistently and buyer tend to respond. I had to pay 1200 once to get a 900 coin that I had to have. (bid up by a forum member yet again) >>

David has a ton of knowledge, a good eye for coins, and I bid on his stuff frequently. I win occasionally too
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "estatecoins" is an unfortunate name, and the usual jokes about it are not deserving in this case. David auctions under "busthalfnut" too.

He's a straight shooter. His coins tend to be nicer quality, his pictures are better than average, and his merchant practices are exceptional.

This half dime may have sold for more than expected because of its potential to upgrade. Or maybe more than one collector was merely willing to bid high to fill a hole with what is likely a very nice coin.
    Lance.
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    But for the underbidder, she likely fetches in your range. Notably, the underbidder has low fb and 100% of bids placed were on this coin. Winner laid multiple bids which tends to invite others to test the limits. Here, the limits may have been quite high, I suspect owing to Mr. Kahn's reputation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file