Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANA convention badges, medals, etc.: any published information?

DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
Has anyone ever published research on the convention badges, medals, pins, etc., of the American Numismatic Association?

Are the convention attendance pins for sale somewhere? You know the ones --- you see longtime members like Clifford Mishler wearing a bandolier of them stretching from their jacket lapel down to the floor. I searched for information at money.org and came up empty.

What about the various ANA awards --- the Adna Wilde, the Exemplary Service, the Glenn Smedley, etc. --- are there medals, badges, plaques, etc., connected to each of the association's recognitions?

Comments

• USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    I'm aware of this reference:

Catalog of American Numismatic Association Convention Badges and Medals 2006 Edition by Charles R. Hosch

A copy is in the ANA Library
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone ever published research on the convention badges, medals, pins, etc., of the American Numismatic Association?

Are the convention attendance pins for sale somewhere? You know the ones --- you see longtime members like Clifford Mishler wearing a bandolier of them stretching from their jacket lapel down to the floor. I searched for information at money.org and came up empty.

What about the various ANA awards --- the Adna Wilde, the Exemplary Service, the Glenn Smedley, etc. --- are there medals, badges, plaques, etc., connected to each of the association's recognitions? >>

The convention bars (rectangles with the year and name of city) are usually only sold at the conventions, as there is not much demand for them at other times of the year, but they do have back issues on hand. I am sure they could be bought if you asked.

I have 33 of them. Will get another here in Chicago this year.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Those remind me of the medals and bars we used to get for memorizing bible verses (not understanding them, that wasn't important...) in Sunday school. Also, for NRA marksmanship – us kids used to “mix ‘n’ match” just to irritate the church folks on Sunday.

Are there photos of people tripping over those long chains of bars?
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    I have a pdf copy of Hosch's "Catalog of American Numismatic Association Convention Badges and Medals, 2006 Edition" that is apparently no longer online. It is just over one megabyte in size (116 pages). I can email it to whomever requests.
    Also, earlier in 2010 The Numismatist had a thorough feature of ANA Convention Medals. This is an update from a simlar feature they did perhaps ten years prior, so you can look out for those.
  • NCVikingNCViking Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Re: ANA badges and convention bars, the Charles R. Hosch 'Catalog of American Numismatic Association Convention Badges and Medals 2006 Edition' is an excellent source for information. It 'was' available on the internet. Another source is a book by N. Neil Harris 'A Catalogue of Convention Badges & Medals of the American Numismatic Association 1908-1968'. The Harris research is semi-accurate and was also published in the Numismatist several years ago. Charles Hoskins and Jack Ogilvie also had an article published in the September 1967 Numismatist. Barbara Gregory covered the ANA badges and medals from the 1990s in the December, 1999 issue of The Numismatist. David Sklow has also researched the topic and possibly has information available.

Perhaps it's time for new research on the badges, bars, ribbons, awards, etc.?
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 41 convention bars .I stopped wearing them several years ago because it became a problem.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 41 convention bars .I stopped wearing them several years ago because it became a problem. >>

It would be nice if the ANA offered an option for the round medal at the bottom of the ladder with a pin on the back, so that you could anchor it somewhere to keep the ladder from swinging around so much.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Just pin the last one to your wallet...? or pants zipper?
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dentuck, I would not be surprised to find extensive information in past issues of the TAMS journal. If you would like a membership application for TAMS, please PM me.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is all I have...
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>This is all I have... >>

That's very nice, done by Virginia Janssen, a classically trained sculptor. She also did the ANA 1999 Chicago (Windy City) medal.

What I just completed is the set of five different ANA Judges and Exhibitors Medals by the Gallery Mint Museum issued 1996-2000. I've got a bunch of their smaller medalets issued for ANA conventions which were listed in The Numismatist this past year.
    Another small collection is of Greg Franck-Weiby's Portland ANA strikings, which includes the official medal he had a hand in on designing in 2009, plus various the technologies used in on-site strikings with the help of his Society for Creative Anachronism crew, and a few things from earlier Portland ANA shows that he produced.
    I finally did pick up the hand struck pewter medalet made at this year's ANA Boston show. And I'm trying to find out about a similar hand struck pewter piece I got for the ANA Chicago 1991 centennial.
    I've also got a bronze version of the 1969 ANA Philly convention, designed by Frank Gasparro, with the obverse design of a flowing hair Liberty that he adapted for the first shot at the small dollar.

Black Mountain Coins has a subcategory for ANA medals and badges.
    I received David Sklow's Mail Bid Sale No. 12 in the mail today. Not only does he have a rare 1968 edition of N. Neil Harris' ANA badges and medals, but also the late Rollie Finner's collection of badges and medals beginning on page 68.

Catalog sale
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own 2 small gold medals and I think one is VERY low mintage.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• I'm a collector of ANA Badges and am currently missing 1941, 1944 and 2004-2010 to complete 1928 to date. 2011 will be available at Rosemont. I have also completed the 3 pc. Capital Plastics medal sets (1963-65 are 2 Medals) from 1963 through 1982. If anyone has any of the Badges I am missing, I'd be interested (complete, NM to Mint only). I also need 1927,'23,'19,'18,'15 and '13-'08.

Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was recently offered 12-15 of the original dies from Bastian Brothers for the A.N.A. annual convention badge bars ( with name of host city indicated) at the ludicrous price of $150 each. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to a coinworld article about how to order this years ANA badges and medals ">Link

Also, here's a picture of the only one I have from when I used to live in Charlotte. I was in the Charlotte Coin Club and was on the commitee that worked with Jamie Franki to help with getting them made and the ANA ended up using the picture I took to sell the medals with.
    image">Link
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    The link messes up. Here's the address of the coinworld article that says how to order this years ANA badges and medal http://www.coinworld.com/articles/ana-unveils-11-chicago-show-medals/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file