Home U.S. Coin Forum

It's been awhile since anyone's discussed tethering a camera to their PC. Is this now a realistic op

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have hesitated for technical and "skill level" reasons to spend the long dollar on a camera(I would add that I'm cheap, too), hoping to be able to eventually tether via USB cable to my PC so I can make adjustments in Live-time instead of with an edit. Forum member JapanJohn used to do regular updates but it's been over two years since any threads on the topic that I could find in the archives. Can members "in-the-know" list camera's by Model which offer this capability along with any helpful notes based on their experience?? Also, any software needed to accomplish this??

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• I've been a big fan of macro-video photography for quite a while. I used to view a lot of critters that lived in coral reef sandy sediments when I was in grad school.

I still haven't bought the dslr Nikon setup I'd like for coins, but there are a number of other setups that would be fun to try. I shot a good many photos for marine botany using a trinocular microscope. I've mentioned them many moons ago. Lighting is such a toughy. Try wanting to keep a bunch of itty bitty critters alive on the stage while you're viewing them under/over a hot light. sheesh.

Anyhoo, I like to hear about other people's use of macro, too. thanks for the thread.

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I use a Nikon D300 and the Nikon software (Camera Control Pro 2) to do it. It works superbly.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question Al. I would love to have my much larger monitor show what my cameral LCD is showing in real time. It would sure make adjusments to lighting before the shot a whole lot easier.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Most Canon DSLRs now support this feature - Canon models are confusing to me - check before you buy if you go this way.

Its called Canon tethered Live View. I use it on a Canon T1i and it works great. This is the way to go. You can focus the camera from your PC in either manual mode or auto, while watching the image change.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Nikon D300 and the Nikon software (Camera Control Pro 2) to do it. It works superbly.

Mike, do you find the image displayed before the picture is taken identical to after?? that seems to be the problem with my camera and the onboard LCD.
  • If you want great coins pics. Buying a camera that can be tethered is a must, everything else is secondary IMO. I am shooting with used feebay Canon 40d with an adapted extended Nikon 35-70mm from an old camera manually using the EOS utilities for live view adjustments on my computer. moving lights and watching the image change is a must for highlighting luster and such.. $500 plus another $100 in accessories. .. Now looking for 150-180mm macro now. Get a large monitor tooooo!

I shot this last night with an axial lighting set-up.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Canon EOS utility allows you to shoot live view using your computer screen. VERY simple to use, and very useful.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Just about any Canon or Nikon DSLR will do this nowadays. Couple years back a whole lot of pocket cams would do it. Actually they can ALL do it it's just the manufacturers remove that capability in the camera firmware. Too many people out there I guess taking ebay and craigslist photos and they kind of make you pay for the ability to be a semi pro photographer.

Heck even when a camera was capable of doing it, it wasn't something that was advertised in the specs. Maybe buried in the manual.

Best bet is to look at Breeze Systems web page and their Remote Pro Software. They provide lists of cameras able to tether. Nikon cameras are controlled with Camera Control Pro 2.

Some Canon point and shoots can have firmware modifications done called CHDK which may or may not give you remote tethering capability. Don't know as I've never messed with it for that although I do run CHDK in a couple of my Canon point and shoots.

If you want to take the best photos of coins, hands down the best way to do that is to tether the camera and shoot from a computer. Is it 100% necessary? No, but it will save you a ton of time and net better results quicker.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for adding your opinion, JJ. over the years i always enjoyed your updates as you experimented with tethering. as a result i always knew it was possible, the biggest hinderance has always been the quality of the tether. most of the older cameras(until the past couple of years) didn't use a USB, opting for a headphone style mini-jack that was low quality. i decided to wait, now the time seems right for a try.................and a camera upgrade.
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use a Nikon D300 and the Nikon software (Camera Control Pro 2) to do it. It works superbly. >>

I have a Nikon D60 but I haven't pulled the trigger on the software yet. Since it is at about $145, I'd rather spend the money on coins or books.

JH
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I know that Dynolite has been discussed before, but this product dispatches the camera altogether. The lens is directly inputed into your computer without a camera. I've heard here that it's great for close-ups, but doesn't image the whole coin very well. Thoughts from all the great imagers on this forum?
    Paul
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using a Canon D40 for my macro coin shots. Canon has a utility (EOS Utility) that does a good job. I was also using "DLSR Remote Pro" (about $95 as I recall) that gives you real time live view of what you're shooting. Both good options, but I lean toward DLSR Remote Pro.

Wes
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this topic up, Keets. I am going to try this out and see if it helps my otherwise pathetic imaging skills.

How many folks are using a light box with their set up?
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • List of cameras at about half way down on the entry

Wikipedia Live View

• << <i>

<< <i>I use a Nikon D300 and the Nikon software (Camera Control Pro 2) to do it. It works superbly. >>

I have a Nikon D60 but I haven't pulled the trigger on the software yet. Since it is at about $145, I'd rather spend the money on coins or books.

JH >>

I dont believe the D60 has the option and the software wont enable it. It is an onboard firmware feature and it either has it or it doesnt. I had the problem with the Canon 20D, it was probably hardware capable but they made you buy the 20Da to have it enabled and none of the software was going to do it.

• << <i>I use a Nikon D300 and the Nikon software (Camera Control Pro 2) to do it. It works superbly.

Mike, do you find the image displayed before the picture is taken identical to after?? that seems to be the problem with my camera and the onboard LCD. >>

In my experience the image is not going to be the same because the shutter settings wil always determine the final look of the image. It helps treemndously and you you will be able to make adjustments in lighting much better as you get used to what combinations work but an openshutter is always going to be differnet than the live feed just because they are different mechanisms.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never even had a reason , but it sounds
    like fun...
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tethered shooting makes it much easier to make quick adjustments to the picture you've taken. It also keeps your hands off the camera while taking the picture. If you're going to spend the money on a dSLR for pictures, you may as well get the software to make your life easier. I don't have "live view" on my camera, but I don't see a pressing need for it, as I like looking through the viewfinder for lighting and focus issues.

Some cheap cameras have an A/V out which can be connected to a video input on your computer so that you can look at it instead of the back of the camera when composing a picture, but you're not going to get tethered shooting on anything really cheap. I quickly scanned the CHDK site to see if there's the possibility of a hack that allows it on cheap Canon cameras, but didn't see anything.

• << <i>Tethered shooting makes it much easier to make quick adjustments to the picture you've taken. It also keeps your hands off the camera while taking the picture. If you're going to spend the money on a dSLR for pictures, you may as well get the software to make your life easier. I don't have "live view" on my camera, but I don't see a pressing need for it, as I like looking through the viewfinder for lighting and focus issues.

Some cheap cameras have an A/V out which can be connected to a video input on your computer so that you can look at it instead of the back of the camera when composing a picture, but you're not going to get tethered shooting on anything really cheap. I quickly scanned the CHDK site to see if there's the possibility of a hack that allows it on cheap Canon cameras, but didn't see anything. >>

That video out is for reviewing pictures already taken. Live Viewing, or tethering is only possible if the firmware/hardware of the camera has that option and the list provided are going to be the only cameras that have it. Yes some models that have the option purposely disabled to encourage sale of higher models will be hackable in this way. But the presence of that A/V output jack you mention is not what enables this feature. I am not sure about Nikon or the other cameras on the list but with Canon there is no additional software needed to enable this. It is on the cd that comes with the camera. I would imagine Nikon has a similar piece of included software. There are 3rd party softwares that also supply an interface for the feature, and some might offer more features and/or convenience over the included one, but they are not required.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I tried it but could never get enough helium in the PC for it to float.
  • JeshJesh Posts: 277
    I use a Canon 5D Mark II with Lightroom... works great!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>List of cameras at about half way down on the entry

Wikipedia Live View >>

Live view is the ability of a camera's LCD to display, in real time, what the lens is seeing before and during the shot. Tethering is a second, remote "live view" using a computer's larger monitor to duplicate the camera's LCD. The advantage of tethering is a larger view of what the camera lens is seeing. Quality of the view will depend on the quality of the computer monitor. Tethering offers a great advantage in setting up the best lighting for the shot.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• << <i>

<< <i>List of cameras at about half way down on the entry

Wikipedia Live View >>

Live view is the ability of a camera's LCD to display, in real time, what the lens is seeing before and during the shot. Tethering is a second, remote "live view" using a computer's larger monitor to duplicate the camera's LCD. The advantage of tethering is a larger view of what the camera lens is seeing. Quality of the view will depend on the quality of the computer monitor. Tethering offers a great advantage in setting up the best lighting for the shot. >>

Yes you are technically correct in correcting me on the difference, but the 2 features have been implemented together as far as I have seen and the tethering is just an extension of the lcd display to the monitor in reality. The term Live View for example was never assigned to the ability to view on the point and shoots which have been capable of doing so since the onset of digi-photogrpahy basically.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the only way I would ever shoot. Highly recommend it.

The live view I have not been as impressed about. It helps but I found the focus sharper looking through the camera, this is on a nikon.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

• << <i>It is the only way I would ever shoot. Highly recommend it.

The live view I have not been as impressed about. It helps but I found the focus sharper looking through the camera, this is on a nikon. >>

Another understatement, lol.. It is a must, it takes away the guessing factor, I can't see anything on the little 3" LCD and putting my face through view finder jiggles the camera.. remote shooting with a mouse click. moving lights fraction of an inch

You can see the monitor and the luster of the Lincoln in the background of this shot - I push a light with my left while viewing the results and click with my right hand.

Question:

Around 1999 I dropped $1200 bucks on a 21" CRT monitor. I shopped and spent the extra bucks for .22 dot pitch. Recently, I was viewing my pics on a LCD and noticed much nicer sharper contrast. Much to my surprise I found 25 or 26" (don't remember) monitors everywhere for $250!

My question is:

Did anyone upgrade their monitor after they tethered their camera? What did you get or what did you wish you got? I thinks it's time to retire this 80lb dinosaur. Bigger is better right? Contrast ratios, I don't have memorized. what is an optimum ratio and dot pitch to look for with photographic images these days?

Thank you
  • Man, I thought I was the last holdout for a big flatscreen/widescreen monitor! I, too, always had to have the large CRT, low dot pitch, etc.

I waited those extra years for flatscreen technology to improve before I tried one. I've been very pleased with my LG, W2343T. It's at least a year old by now.

I'm not up on all the specs, but a high screen refresh rate (e.g. 120 Hz) seems to be a shopping point, as does a high contrast ratio, 150,000:1 for example. Shoot, some hdtvs now have 240 and 480 Hz refresh rates.

Good luck with your monitor shopping.

• << <i>

<< <i>It is the only way I would ever shoot. Highly recommend it.

The live view I have not been as impressed about. It helps but I found the focus sharper looking through the camera, this is on a nikon. >>

Another understatement, lol.. It is a must, it takes away the guessing factor, I can't see anything on the little 3" LCD and putting my face through view finder jiggles the camera.. remote shooting with a mouse click. moving lights fraction of an inch

You can see the monitor and the luster of the Lincoln in the background of this shot - I push a light with my left while viewing the results and click with my right hand.

Question:

Around 1999 I dropped $1200 bucks on a 21" CRT monitor. I shopped and spent the extra bucks for .22 dot pitch. Recently, I was viewing my pics on a LCD and noticed much nicer sharper contrast. Much to my surprise I found 25 or 26" (don't remember) monitors everywhere for $250!

My question is:

Did anyone upgrade their monitor after they tethered their camera? What did you get or what did you wish you got? I thinks it's time to retire this 80lb dinosaur. Bigger is better right? Contrast ratios, I don't have memorized. what is an optimum ratio and dot pitch to look for with photographic images these days?

Thank you >>

The dot pitch no longer matters as LCDs/Plasmas are flat. The refresh rate is not as important because you are in a 2d environment. Most LCDs meant for computers are 60mhz and that is plenty for photography, though there is no harm in going higher. The most important factor will be resolution. That is where you will gain that sharpness you seek. If you go to full HD resolution, which you should, you may also need a video card that can output at that res.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Question:

My question is:

Thank you >>

Nope I do everything on my laptop. I travel to much to have a monitor to be worth anything to me.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Thank you for the info Everyone. Was just wondering if anyone is up to date with PC Monitor specifications in relation to graphics work. i know most of those artsy types prefer MAC. SOunds like Looking for a flat screen at hi def is the way to go?

why wouldn't I just buy a Hi- Def 1080p Television ?

I just upgraded to 100mm Canon lens and I am disappointed!!! While the resolution on my monitor is crisp and of higher detail, when I hit the shutter - the pics are blurry! This should have been click the lens on and shoot! apparently not.

Apparently I can't lock the mirror out of the way, besides it didn't lock it previously. so the shake from the mirror moving shouldn't be the problem however the shutter release sounds different than before... I am baffled. I thought the beauty of DSLR was seeing through the lens and being able to capture that.

Why I am not capturing the image on the screen the way my previous backyard engineered lens did has me panicking and creating this post!
    help!

I guess I'll try the auto focus functions, except I don't think this lens will focus on auto at 6 inches.. I babble... sorry

<< <i>I use a Nikon D300 and the Nikon software (Camera Control Pro 2) to do it. It works superbly.

Mike, do you find the image displayed before the picture is taken identical to after?? that seems to be the problem with my camera and the onboard LCD. >>

Sorry, Keets, I missed your reply.

Yes, the images are very similar. I wouldn't call them identical.

That said, I image coins with virtually no custom settings outside of white balance.

The real value is seeing the effect of lighting before hand, and the ability to view the finished product (i.e. capture) within seconds of taking it. This makes the amount of time I spend taking a photo for a coin to go WAY down. From 15 minutes or more down to 2 minutes -- and a lot less shutter clicks to boot.

Todd and I had a brief discussion on this topic at FUN. While he can achieve better focus by looking through the lens, I find LiveView (and Camera Control Pro 2 to view it on-screen) far easier. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, admittedly. If you are having trouble achieveing critical focus using your eyes, you might try LiveView and CCP2.

• << <i>Todd and I had a brief discussion on this topic at FUN. While he can achieve better focus by looking through the lens, I find LiveView (and Camera Control Pro 2 to view it on-screen) far easier. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, admittedly. If you are having trouble achieveing critical focus using your eyes, you might try LiveView and CCP2. >>

Some is probably what you are accustomed to. I imagine Todd spends a lot of time on his feet and that his set up is at eye level, so thats what works best for him. The rest of us are probably arm chair quarterbacks that can't see past their noses. image
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    My first attempt at tethering.
    Need to make some lighting adjustments.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm almost ready to jump on this bandwagon, but of course I lack funds for a DSLR. They're moderately expensive, yes?

I've got a Bogen Professional copystand (thanks, sbeverly!) but no suitable camera yet. (Mine is an old Mavica but I do not use it so much anymore- I tend to prefer ladymarcovan's Canon point-and-shoot.)

When I'm ready to take the plunge (perhaps with a used entry-level DSLR from some advanced whiz kid who's upgraded to something more snazzy), then I'll be wanting something tetherable, for sure.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • kimber45ACP...nice shots of the Kennedy Half...a big fan of them.
    ......Larry........image
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Canon PowerShot SX100IS that has remote capture, but I have read that I must buy a software program such as PSRemote by Breeze that costs $95 in order to control the remote access. I am truly a novice at this, but does anyone know of a software program that I can get for the PowerShot that is inexpensive or free? Thanks for your help.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to see what's new out there again.

I have posted in the past on this, and also on one of the camera forums -- no luck yet.

I'm looking for an inexpensive camera (point and shoot is fine) that will work with tethering software on a Mac System OS10.7 (Lion).

My venerable G3 Canon Powershot's software (RemoteCapture) is no longer supported, it did a great job -- sample:

I heard the G9 may work, but I'd like to know for sure. I guess I can upgrade to a DSLR if I have to...then there's lenses, etc...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tethering is built into
    Lightroom 3
    which is my preferred photo-editing program by leaps and bounds
    LCoopie = Les
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok...bear with me here since I'm not a tech wiz. I have an HDMI port on the laptop and the appropriate cable..

The Canon SD95 handbook describes how to use an HDMI cable to view pics on a HD TV....Would this work on my laptop instead of a TV? ...or just use a TV

...be kind since I feel I am missing something in the equation
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably won't work on a laptop. I don't know of any laptop that is set up to use as a video monitor. You'll need a HDTV or monitor with HDMI input...
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, I've been having better luck with the Canon EOS tethering software compared with Nikon CCP2. The Canon software allows full screen, though it's not full resolution. It does give a fairly large full-resolution 100% detail screen that is perfect for critical focusing. Making sure the coin is in focus is the Killer App for tethering. Adjusting lighting and Framing "live" are also Killer Apps but 2nd priority to focusing. Multiple Killer Apps for one piece of software make tethering a must-have...Ray
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file