Home U.S. Coin Forum

Washington Quarters

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
When the top of LIBERTY is worn into the rim, what does the coin grade?

Thanks Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• According to the ANA grading standards it would be no higher than AG3.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clads really need to be graded differently because there is almost definition
    between the tops of the letters and the rim on either the obverse or the reverse
    or both on many of the early dates. This means that technically most coins like the
    '69-P passed straight from MS-60 to AG-3. It means almost every single '68-D in
    circulation is AG-3.

I tend to grade them by the presumed amount of metal missing but this gets diff-
    icult in lower grades since most were so poorly struck there's very little detail when
    they get below F condition.

Most of these early dates are getting really tough in nice well made XF.
    Tempus fugit.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the coin. Generally speaking, according to ANA atandards, a coin has to have full rims on the obverse and reverse to quality as Good-4. However, it really depends on the coin/series/particular strike, etc. For example, I have seen several coins from various series that did not have full rims, but because of typical weakness in strike, was graded higher than AG-3.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it appears the reverse wears more than the obverse. I'm sorting the original from the worse coins for the silver. And the cheek really gets flat for those lower grades. Do they grade Ag3 as well?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file