Home U.S. Coin Forum

Commem Experts - Need your help

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check this out... 1918 Lincoln 50c with a very large die break (gouge) on the forehead. Is this a common die flaw on the 1918 Lincoln Commem?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Ah Yes, the "Horned Lincoln". Actually, I have no idea what I am talking about ( in this case at least!)image
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If two are currently listed for sale with similar die breaks, I will assume it is fairly common and not a collectible variety.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the photo in the Guide Book of US Coins (RED BOOK) has that same feature. Do they all look like this?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not talking about Lincoln's left eyebrow/ridge are you? That's normal.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You're not talking about Lincoln's left eyebrow/ridge are you? That's normal. >>

What he says......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS--if you are talking about the left eyebrow/ridge, that odd feature was discussed a bit here in 2007.......just read down a bit on the thread and you'll find it as well as a link about Lincoln's facial deformity.........

linky
  • WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... thanks. Can't believe that's intentional but I have learned something new today.

<< <i>Wow... thanks. Can't believe that's intentional but I have learned something new today. >>

Don't feel bad.....one of the best known names in the hobby once brought to my attention his amazing discovery of a commemorative half with strange letters in the field.....it was a Cincinnati, and they were the designer's initials!!!!

LOL!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Wow... thanks. Can't believe that's intentional but I have learned something new today. >>

Don't feel bad.....one of the best known names in the hobby once brought to my attention his amazing discovery of a commemorative half with strange letters in the field.....it was a Cincinnati, and they were the designer's initials!!!!

LOL!

TD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file