Home U.S. Coin Forum

Toned, Clad State Quarters

I have a question for the modern experts on the forum.

I just broke open a bag of BU, 2000-D Mass. 25C. In this bag, I have some coins with fantastic, original toning (violets, fuchsia, gold).

Are these coins desirable and worth sending in under a Modern service? I cannot take an image right now, but I will get some picutres of the best ones and put a link in a message.

All I can tell you is many of the coins are fully or 3/4 toned on one side.

Let me know,

Greg

Comments

• djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    If the color is really nice and the coins are of decent grade im sure there are many willing to pay a premium for them.
  • i would guess it would depend how nice the toning and grade of the coin(s) were. i keep some dansco albums with the statehood quarters and a few toned nicely. i sent this one in just to see if they would slab it or call it AT and it graded. the toning had a deeper color that what i could capture in my pics. i put it on ebay with a BIN of $50 and it sold quickly. can you post pics of some of them?

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they were really nice, I would probably pay ~$5ea for a couple, but I would prefer them raw and something I could put in an album.
    It's my birth-state, which is the only reason I would want it, and a few extra for relatives still there.

Now, if they were high grade (MS67+) then they would probably be worth grading.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the blank message.

Here's an example of a few of them. I am more concerned about the amount of toning rather than the grade (that I can do myself).

Let me know what you think,

Greg
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm. I have a sealed bag of those myself, perhaps I open it up today to celebrate 1/1/11
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience is State quarters in graded MS67 holders many times do not sell for the grading fee. So if they are really toned nice and grade at least MS67 and you can find the right buyer you might still lose money. Now if you get lucky and find two buyers that like a particular coin you might make moon money.
    eBay sales and the graders grade given are both unknowns in the equation of whether to grade coins that the owner must contemplate with each submission.
    It has been my experience that when the coins first came out the larger dealers submitted bulk orders and many of the highest graded coins come from those. As time has passed when smaller submitters submit coins their percentage of top grades have been small as it seems the graders look harder now as there are many more to compare them too.
    So I would say look at each coin before thinking of submitting. An eye appealing coin in high grade along with the lower cost of the modern tier grading can make a profit. But trying to bank on color only as garnering a profit might lead to disappointment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file