Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Bigwigs....Serious idea...WEIGH COINS!

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK. PCGS powers that be I offer a serious suggestion that you precisely weigh the coin prior to encapsulation such as 68.63 grains and add that info to the label.

Comments

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What benefit would that serve? I'm sure they weigh coins which are questionable, as most dealers do, but what benefit would it serve to be placed on the slab. You couldn't weigh the slab to determine if the coin was authentic. Doesn't seem plausible to me.
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • BobSavBobSav Posts: 935 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Mike, what purpose ?

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back at ANACS in the late 70's, early 80's we used to weigh each coin in grams to two decimal places. It certainly helped with authentication, which was originally our primary mission, and occasionally helped identify a coin that had been in before, but all in all was probably not worth the effort (and the additional handling of each coin, which increases the chances of accidental mis-handling) for a primarily grading service.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Back at ANACS in the late 70's, early 80's we used to weigh each coin in grams to two decimal places. It certainly helped with authentication, which was originally our primary mission, and occasionally helped identify a coin that had been in before, but all in all was probably not worth the effort (and the additional handling of each coin, which increases the chances of accidental mis-handling) for a primarily grading service.
    TD >>

Edited to add: That said, I could see how having a weight on record might be useful for certain unusual pieces. It could be available as an additional service for a small additional fee.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a benefit for what it would cost them (i.e., us) to include that info on 99% of coins submitted. It may be that they already do precise weights for Secure Plus and don't publish them, because they could be referenced to determine material being added or removed from the coin between submissions and they don't want to share this intelligence with docs.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weight is a key variable in early coppers, there are several Sheldon and Cohen varieties that vary by weight as do most of the state coppers.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mathematicians and Scientists from across the globe need to come together along with the United States Department of Waits and Measures and determine just exactly how to figure out a way to calibrate the Sheldon Scale, first.

Don't taze me, bro.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file