Home U.S. Coin Forum

FIRST Coin buy of 2011. Feuchtwanger Cent 1A

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK. Off to a nice start here with the locating and purchase of a Feuchtwanger Cent variety 1A. Is this the first version of the cent that Feuchtwanger struck? Walter Breen thought so.....Logically, it very well could be since it is by far the UGLIEST version of the defiant eagle that the good Doctor every produced. Crude, ugly, poorly executed version of the eagle, and paired with the totally hand cut reverse A....it will win no beauty contests.

If Dr. Lewis Feuchtwanger set about to impress the Mint and Congress with a beautiful issue to be presented along with his circular describing his "silver penny" (as he wished it to be called)...the Number 1 obverse was , well.... yuck. Feverishly he worked though the second half of 1837 and all in all designed 6 (perhaps 7) completely different dies for the obverse...each making the eagle look better and better.

So this is buy number 1 of 2011. Pardon the rather nasty photos I present here, the website did not allow direct downloading of the image so what you see is a shot off my screen, and then reworked. When it arrives, NEW photos!

This piece is also an R5, with perhaps 50 known. (imagine if this were a Lincoln Cent, with fifty known?? It would sell for a bit more than the $125 this did, eh? )

imageimage

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugly, in a cool sort of way. I can see why he went back to the drawing board. Interesting also how the date numerals are different sizes and look a bit wonky and misaligned.

Neat piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Lord M.

Ugly in almost an Imperial Roman way, eh?

In an era, 1837, when private die sinkers and engravers were hard at work everywhere, including New York, it is interesting the Dr. Feuchtwangers issues were so crude (at first). I seriously think Lewis himself was the engraver. An omni talented individual, a jeweler...among other abilities.....I see no reason to think he did not do his own engraving. Nothing in the HTT world looks like the Feuchtwangers.

Note the centering dot on the reverse!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, i thought your "last purchase of 2010" was wishful thinking, i guess i was off by a few hours!!image you're getting started early, good luck!!
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sense someone willing to corner the marketimage

Soon there will nothing but dreck left.image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file