Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where is all the silver!!!

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have recently went through $3k in half dollars and $200 in nickels and no silver coins at all. I got so frustrated by the Kennedy coins I probably wont buy any halves for a while. Is anyone else experiencing the same frustration? At least I found enough good coins for an album set at face value!

Comments

• Options
    "$200 in nickels "

???????????????? war nickles maybe ? but they have so little silver- why bother.
    I find 90% dimes, about 3 per year and maybe a quarter about every 3 years. I dont search rolls, but if i did, it would be dimes.
  • Options

<< <i>???????????????? war nickles maybe ? but they have so little silver- why bother. >>

Two war nickels contain $3.48 in silver. One 90% dime contains $2.23 in silver.

So little?
  • Options
    War nickels have about $1.70 worth of silver in them. I find about 20 or so a year searching nickel rolls.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, same here. I was forced to change banks as my old one closed my branch. So, walked across
    the street to a different bank and opened an account. Very nice and they call me when they get halves
    turned in as they don't like to count them or save up enough to return to the Feds. I've been going
    through half dollars by the tens of dozens of rolls for the past 6 months. Not one silver and not one
    40% either. I get the feeling that I am picking through some other collector's returns. Ughhhhhhhhh

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I found about five last January and a 40 percent in December. I probably went through about $800, maybe less. I try to go to banks in older parts of town. The ones with bullet proof glass.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver is at $30/oz. and you're wondering why you don't find any in bulk coins you order from banks?? are you under the impression that noone else is searching and that this all happened in the last few months??

wake up and smell the coffee, my friend. this is no phenomenon and it didn't just happen. the run has been going on for a decade, it has been well publicized and even ordinary citizens are smart enough to have figured it out and learned how to play. trust me, the people walking into coin shops, pawn shops, the "Buy Gold/Silver" tent shows and strolling into coin shows with junk Silver aren't collectors. they are just people who have figured out the Game.

quit complaining and be grateful for what you find whenever it happens. remember, you're doing it because you like coins, right??
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    After a decent run of a couple of years, I too quit looking through rolls about two years ago. I didn't search nickels specifically for War nickels, but did find 7 or 8 from '06 to '08. I stopped searching nickels, though, because it was getting hard to find even any 1940s and 1950s dates. Also, the counting machines are REALLY beating up all of our coinage, so it's hard to find nice examples of most circulated coinage. Sad, but true.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Just went through a box of halves. Found 1 Franklin half, and 11 40% kennedys!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Do dimes. In half a year I've raked in 241 of them suckers with 28 Mercs. Not bad for a hobby.
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    You may want to consider pulling copper (pre-1982 & some '82's) out of circulation. This idea has generally been mocked on the CU boards, but it may not be in the future...
  • Options
    tander123tander123 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭
    I went through $1000 in halves and zero/zilch/nada in silver.
    Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently found two old (1951, 1956) US dimes in supermarket coin machines.

People are spending them.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>Do dimes. In half a year I've raked in 241 of them suckers with 28 Mercs. Not bad for a hobby. >>

Over $500 in silver?

Ummmm...OK!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file