Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did the Sniffer visit the Smithsonian?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, that's a silly title for this thread. But you opened it, and now you have to click here.

I am seriously intrigued. What are your thoughts on this?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the recent examination was applied only to pattern coins, do you have any reason to believe that the findings would be relevant to circulation strikes? After all, patterns were intended for promotional purposes, and didn't necessarily have to adhere to stringent composition criteria as established for circulation strikes.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• From what I have heard, an x-ray "anything" can only "read" material about 15 microns below the surface, which isn't all that much.

Also, from what I have heard, there's a facility in Australia that can analyze most of the metallic content, but unfortunately not all, or even all the way though the item in question.

The trouble with having anything to do with sending items through the mail overseas is because of the Patriot Act. Unless you are willing to purchase a round trip plane ticket, and carry the item in your carry-ons, after it gets declared and goes though customs (which is getting very difficult), it simply isn't worth the trouble or the price to get a compostional analysis done elsewhere.

The SI has numerous gold items that would benefit from metallic analysis, among those would be the gold bars that came from the Lilly Collection "donation" in 1968.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a lot of meat in that blurb - do you know more??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file