Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the ultimate coin camera for the technologically challenged?

I seem to do "okay enough" on many coins with my Canon camera...

...but where I really fall short is when it comes to really bringing out the luster and creating eye popping photos of MS coins. I realized that within the last few days in a lame attempt to photograph some MS65/66 Lincolns. Is it really more about the camera, or the lighting setup? Do keep in mind, that if I should get a more lofty camera that I'm technologically challenged to a great extent, and I require a practical device without lots of confusing "features".

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Macro is as much about the camera as it is the lighting. By "camera" I mean lens. By "lens" I mean focal length. By "focal length" I mean long.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Mark says (and he's written the book on it, literally!), you need a macro lens. At least 100mm.

Once you have the lens you will figure out inexpensive lighting options. It takes practice. Lots of it.

The camera and long lens will be heavy. And no movement when the shutter trips is essential. That means you will need a tripod at the minimum. A remote shutter release is inexpensive and very nice. A copy stand is ideal but much more expensive than a tripod.
    Lance.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    SLR's don't have to be any more complicted than point and shoots. Once you get the initial settings made, you can leave them and just take pictures.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more thought about simplicity for the tech-challenged: All modern cameras have a dizzying number of features. 95% of them you'll never use. Don't go crazy trying to learn everything. Learn the few important things.
    Lance.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how adequate is a camera with high pixel count and poor macro ability? the new point-and-shoot cameras have 10+ and a 3-5 inch focal range, so shouldn't i be able to take a picture and get good results just because it''ll be so huge??
  • What is better, a 100 macro or a 180 macro. The reason I'm asking is my dad is thinking about buying a new Canon 60D and I was wondering about getting a lens for his birthday, something I could use image
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is better, a 100 macro or a 180 macro. The reason I'm asking is my dad is thinking about buying a new Canon 60D and I was wondering about getting a lens for his birthday, something I could use image >>

The 180 is a major difference, in a good way.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    Here's an example of the kind of photos I'm talking about making link . Taken with my point and shoot cam, I'm certain that coin would look flat and boring...see
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an example of the kind of photos I'm talking about making link . Taken with my point and shoot cam, I'm certain that coin would look flat and boring...see >>

That was taken with the 180 lens. Lots of room to get the lighting right.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy Marks book. A very valuable resource. Lighting is just as important as the type of camera you have. Point and shoots just don't cut it. I use a basic canon Xsi with a 100mm macro lens, and I love the results. I took this last night. It came out ok, but luster is tough to capture. Have to try again with diffused light.

Coins with less glossy surfaces are easier image

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A brand new Daguerreotype camera?

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how adequate is a camera with high pixel count and poor macro ability? the new point-and-shoot cameras have 10+ and a 3-5 inch focal range, so shouldn't i be able to take a picture and get good results just because it''ll be so huge?? >>

That Depends™. If all you want is pictures that are going to be used for eBay and sharing on the web and will never really use image sizes much larger than 800x800, most cheap 10+MP point 'n' shoots will do an adequate job. There are still things you'll need to set up to get the best picture you can on that camera, but this applies to any camera you would use. My presentation at FUN next Friday concentrates on this.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to meet John "MessyDesk" next Friday! I have the equipment....just haven't quite figured out the lighting....YET! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kodak point and shoot, I'm happy with it:

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to start selling some things on eBay, starting with my wife's collection of Precious Moments figurines. I won't be shooting any coins, though I might finally post a picture over on the PM Forum of my birth year 49 ounce U.S. Assay Office gold bar (just to show off!)
    What is a good camera for such type of photography? Please be specific....I know virtually nothing about cameras.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>I am going to start selling some things on eBay, starting with my wife's collection of Precious Moments figurines. I won't be shooting any coins, though I might finally post a picture over on the PM Forum of my birth year 49 ounce U.S. Assay Office gold bar (just to show off!)
    What is a good camera for such type of photography? Please be specific....I know virtually nothing about cameras.
    TD >>

for figurines and such. Any 10 MP point and shoot will do . $80 look for one with a super macro and timer, inevitably you will need closeups in detail. Filling the frame = not have to crop. Also uploading full resolution pics to ebay will allow full enlargement for your buyers, that will separate you from your competition. better pics = more sales. also pick up a $15 desk size tripod. You will find that setting the timer with the camera on super macro mode will make a world of difference. Remember, the more light you have, the faster the shutter, the more crisp the picture because "shake" while holding the camera is eliminated. oh ! drape a sheet or something and shoot with a solid color background IME

• << <i>As Mark says (and he's written the book on it, literally!), you need a macro lens. At least 100mm.

Once you have the lens you will figure out inexpensive lighting options. It takes practice. Lots of it.

The camera and long lens will be heavy. And no movement when the shutter trips is essential. That means you will need a tripod at the minimum. A remote shutter release is inexpensive and very nice. A copy stand is ideal but much more expensive than a tripod.
    Lance. >>

good fundamental tips. cameras that can be tethered to a computer is also essential IMO ability to quickly move lights and view in real time on a larger screen. two coins looking the same in hand can look different from each other when shot for too many reason to list right now. my head hurts image

• << <i>how adequate is a camera with high pixel count and poor macro ability? the new point-and-shoot cameras have 10+ and a 3-5 inch focal range, so shouldn't i be able to take a picture and get good results just because it''ll be so huge?? >>

yes. but the motion of the ocean is more important than the size of the wave!
  • where is multi- quote?
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been delighted with my Kodak Z712IS, to which I add a macro lens (home made). Kodak easy share software is a breeze. Add in photoscape and photobucket and thats pretty much all you need.

• << <i>I am going to start selling some things on eBay, starting with my wife's collection of Precious Moments figurines. I won't be shooting any coins, though I might finally post a picture over on the PM Forum of my birth year 49 ounce U.S. Assay Office gold bar (just to show off!)
    TD >>

I use a Canon PowerShot S3 IS 6MP for photographing the pottery I make. I would invest in a light box/softbox cube there are many to choose from on ebay and they are affordable. Most come with lights and tripod and a background, I use a 3 light set up 1 at the top and 1 on either side. For dramatic affects use a solid black background for the figurines or a variegated gray to white. Any point and shoot should work as long as you include good lighting and a tripod.

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file