Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Continental Currency coin

walked into my store. A piece of history.

One Side
Other Side

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I believe it's a reproduction, but still one of my favorite coins image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe it's a reproduction, but still one of my favorite coins image >>

and

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe it's a reproduction, but still one of my favorite coins image >>

Appears to be a copy.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

Appears to be a copy. >>

and a bad one too
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I get offered those at least........every day by someone who "found it" or "inherited it" and prolly 75% of the time "has been in the family many years" . It appears to be a cheap copy.
  • Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    How does one tell it's a copy ? What should the weight be ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How does one tell it's a copy ? What should the weight be ? >>

Looks like a crudely cast fake. These were made by the thousands to sell as souveniers to tourists at gift shops and were never intended to fool serious coin collectors.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you didn't pay too much for it.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Didn't buy it. It's going to the main store for a look-see.
  • Options
    look around the edge with a loupe for the word copy.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a copy (jmho). good to have for a referance i guess
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a worn copy...Just for fun,here is a "GALLERY MINT" copy..imageimageimage
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a low quality copy.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I cannot dismiss this as a copy based on your photos.

A quick way to determine if it is a copy is to examine the edge. Genuine examples of this type have an interlocking leaf pattern on the edge; most copies have a plain edge.

As a side note, absence of the word COPY is not proof of authenticity - the majority of modern cast copies I have seen do not say COPY on them.

• Options
    Here are some close ups.

Close up #1

Close up #2
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photos are of such poor quality that a firm judgement isn't possible. I'm still guessing it is a fake, but who knows?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not being familiar with these I took a look at coinfacts images as well as heritage archive photos and none that I could see had the pronounced cut-in ornamental details on the lower serifs of the letters. This feature struck my eye right away for it is how the serifs are treated on some of Feuchtwangers token lettering.

The OP coin has a cast look about it. Id say for the OP to take a good look through heritage archive photos (a long page of them) and see if he can pick out die markers that match. I didnt see any.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file