Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Value?

If you please, I was wondering the value of the following:

1912 5 Gilden Proof Like BU

and

1948 5 Peso Proof Like BU. This coin is what the Texas Ranger Badge is made of, pretty cool!

thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    What do you mean...they overstrike them or something?

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what countries?

The "5-gilden" sounds like you mean 5-gulden from the Netherlands?

Did they make Texas Ranger badges out of coins? I didn't know that. I assume you'd be meaning a Mexican 5-peso coin, then? Several other countries struck pesos.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lord, yes I meant 5 Gulden Netherlands.

Concerning the 5 Mexican Peso, yes I was told from a Texan historian, that they once made their badge from a 5 Mexican Peso.

Appreciate your value reply.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MEXICO, 5 pesos, 1948
    KM465, .900 silver/.8680 oz.
    2009 catalog price = $13.50 in BU, but you can throw that out the window since today's melt price w/ silver @ $30.73 makes the silver in that coin worth roughly twice the book value ($26.67, by today's silver price).

NETHERLANDS, 5 gulden, 1912 (I assume you are talking about a small gold coin, right?)
    KM151, .900 gold/.0972 oz.
    2009 catalog price = $160.00 in UNC and $200.00 in BU. There were also 120 matte proofs struck- those catalog $800.00.
    Krause warns that "counterfeits are prevalent". But if it's got the right gold content of nearly 1/10 oz., you're lookin' at almost 138 bucks by today's gold price of $1,415.50/oz.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.