Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

anyone else prefer au over ms..

To me I've always been drawn to those au55 and au58 coins that would have been a 64 or 65 if it wernt for that little trace of wear (history) its always surprises me just how mark free some au58s can be. Am I the only one that prefers my coins to have done there job for at least a little while or is that just a poor excuse because I can't afford the true ms coins?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like nice AU58 for some series if I can buy it for AU58 money. Unfortunately, most sellers want MS62 or better money for their AU58 coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    After buying all the common dates in UNC, I'm now looking for semi-keys (IH¢) in AU-58ish. This being the Only way I'd ever complete my Dansco image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It fits my budget a lot bettter it seems.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Most of my type set is AU58. I paid very strong money for alot of them too. I will agree that most people will want 62 money for their AU58 too. I would prefer a nice original AU55/58 coin over a Fugly 60-63 any day of the week! Got any to sell?
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like nice AU58 for some series if I can buy it for AU58 money. Unfortunately, most sellers want MS62 or better money for their AU58 coins. >>

What he said. If you can buy AU58's without a premium, take em all day!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like AU55-AU58 if the price is right. Many 58's as nice or better than many 60-62's IMHO
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correctly graded au58 is oftentimes the best value for the classic coin collector.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a lowly circulated PCGS AU58 Barber quarter...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pic I took in 09 with a Canon point-n-shoot of CommemDude's PCGS AU55 FH $1.

Once in hand it was really hard to let go off! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Correctly graded au58 is oftentimes the best value for the classic coin collector.image >>

.................assuming the seller isn't pricing it at MS63 money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Wow, that 1795 is HOT. Obtaining a coin like that would make my year!image

Long time eBayer with 100% feedback rating, trying out the PCGS boards to save the fees!

Successful transactions with several board members here including abitofthisabitofthat, marcovan and others
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is another one of those questions that has no "one size fits all" answer because there are simply too many variables involved.

I've always been drawn to the highest grade coin that I can afford AND that fits the context of my collection. For instance, if I'm shopping for a particular date Morgan in MS66, I don't care squat for one in AU-anything and you can have all of them. But if I'm looking for an 1884-S in Mint State 60 (a grade which tends to look like something the cat hacked up), then I'll be thrilled with the right AU58. (I've seen a few that qualify.)
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file