Home Sports Talk
Options

Congrats to the Lady Huskies - UConn winning streak snapped at 90 wins! Wow!

Possibly the greatest winning streak in the history of modern team sports?

Ends at 90 wins (Stanford 71 UConn 59).

You ladies rock!

rd

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Possibly the greatest winning streak in the history of modern team sports?

To me it's not close to as impressive as UCLA's in teh early 70's. Granted men's basketball wasn't as competitive as today but it was substantially more competitive than women's basketball. To me the two records, albeit completely different, are not close in totality. To me it's UCLA hand's down.

As someone pointed out in the other thread the streak of De La Salle High in football was more impressive.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Women play sports?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Stanford. They now have a 52 game home winning streak and counting.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Possibly the greatest winning streak in the history of modern team sports?

To me it's not close to as impressive as UCLA's in teh early 70's. Granted men's basketball wasn't as competitive as today but it was substantially more competitive than women's basketball. To me the two records, albeit completely different, are not close in totality. To me it's UCLA hand's down.

As someone pointed out in the other thread the streak of De La Salle High in football was more impressive. >>

While I agree with you, at least UConn's women aren't cheating like UCLA's men were.

I think the LA Lakers win streak of 33-game winning streak was more impressive than UConn's as well. And agree about De La Salle.

Tabe
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    While I agree with you, at least UConn's women aren't cheating like UCLA's men were.

I think the LA Lakers win streak of 33-game winning streak was more impressive than UConn's as well. And agree about De La Salle.

Tabe

Though I am a big UCLA fan I will agree they were bit cheaters... but so was the competition back then. EVERYBODY was cheating in college sports. UCLA may have cheated more I don't know but they were beating other cheaters.

BTW, De La Salle won 151 straight games! During that stretch were the #1 team in the country by USA Today (the true mythical national championship) 5 times. To me Uconn is not even in the same hemisphere was want DLS did. 12 or 13 straight YEARS without losing in high school football is quite impressive I think.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Women's sports could not stand up by itself without taking the money from some other men's sports program . This denies some other athlete (male) a life opportunity to support something the general public will not support.

I think they were a very good team , for a women's team, which they were. Just like the female pro team , a real good boy's high school team , could quite easily win. I'm sure there is a clay shooting team that has done VERY WELL as well, that deserves national regonition. How many special Olympic team sport teams have won over and above the rest ?

UConn women's team , wow what a great winning streak. No one can take it from you. Just try to keep it in its proper perspective.-- sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Women's sports could not stand up by itself without taking the money from some other men's sports program . This denies some other athlete (male) a life opportunity to support something the general public will not support.

I think they were a very good team , for a women's team, which they were. Just like the female pro team , a real good boy's high school team , could quite easily win. I'm sure there is a clay shooting team that has done VERY WELL as well, that deserves national regonition. How many special Olympic team sport teams have won over and above the rest ?

UConn women's team , wow what a great winning streak. No one can take it from you. Just try to keep it in its proper perspective.-- sonny >>

Yes, it is nice that someone let them out of the kitchen and allowed them to put on a pair of shoes instead of staying barefoot as well. I also heard that they can vote now as well...whoa!!!!!
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, it is nice that someone let them out of the kitchen and allowed them to put on a pair of shoes instead of staying barefoot as well. I also heard that they can vote now as well...whoa!!!!! >>

One day they may even have a professional basketball league.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Women's sports could not stand up by itself without taking the money from some other men's sports program . This denies some other athlete (male) a life opportunity to support something the general public will not support.

UConn women's team , wow what a great winning streak. No one can take it from you. Just try to keep it in its proper perspective.-- sonny >>

FWIW, a handful of the top women's basketball teams are self-supporting, UConn among them.

Tabe
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    It is still an amazing accomplishment in todays sport. I am not comparing it to the mens game, I am just taking it for what it is worth.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Possibly the greatest winning streak in the history of modern team sports?

Ends at 90 wins (Stanford 71 UConn 59).

You ladies rock!

rd >>

Congrats to them ladies on one very very impressive streak, but its Definitely not the best in the history of modern team sports.

brian