Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Meatloaf,

First of all it's great to see another Veteran on the board and collecting. Same here with all the tours; 21 yrs and counting. Welcome to the Jungle. The board members here are both knowledgeable and witty. I remember Puckett getting hit and the talk about him loosing teeth. Hopefully someone here will be able to answer the mail or lead you in the right direction. I look forward to seeing your post on the board.

James
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    James, thanks for the words. Where did you serve and who with? Meatloaf
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    USArmy; 3 tours Kuwait/Iraq with 3rd Army and 7th GP and 1 tour Iraq 7th BDE/10th MTN. Currently stationed in Germany.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think you would need some sort of a DNA test to see if they were really his....My guess is that it's something that someone made themselves to poke fun at the incident...

Would be interested in what other members think too.

Welcome to the boards!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Welcome and thank you for protecting our great country.

Methinks that Kirby made enough money to take care of his teeth better than that! LOL

Let us know what you eventually find out.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Probably not real.

I doubt it that Kirby had it made up.

Their is no way that Dentist Dennis Martinez made it up. I do believe the laws here in Ohio, do not allow doctors to reveil their patients idenity with out concent. The only Dentist Dennis Martinez I see on the internet is loacated in Indiana, Twins VS Cleveland game (Why go to Indiana?)

The only other Dennis Martinez I know of is not a dentist. El Presidente probably never went to college.

Besides the one tooth looks horrible. I doubt it Puckett had a tooth infection, or horrible dental hygene.

That is my opinion.

Dave
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Dennis Martinez was probably the Indians' pitcher that hit Kirby.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Those teeth are pulled out! ........ not broken out, like teeth would be if hit by a ball going 90+ MPH
  • Options
    Welcome and Semper Fidelis!
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only other Dennis Martinez I know of is not a dentist. El Presidente probably never went to college.
    >>

He wasn't a dentist, but he supposedly "extracted" Puckett's teeth with a pitch. Get it?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Websites say that two of his teeth were loosened by the pitch. So, perhaps they were later pulled.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    First, thanks for your service!!!!!

Second, those teeth need to be tossed out. Kinda turns my stomach to be honest with you to see stuff like that considered a collectible.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Yes, those are real.
  • Options
    Dont think they are Puckett's teeth, but rather someones Joke about the pitch.

I agree, they look pulled and not "hit by pitch" out.

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dennis Martinez was probably the Indians' pitcher that hit Kirby. >>

Captain Obvious has arrived

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    This article explains that 2 teeth were loosened by the HBP so it makes sense that they were extracted after that. I do know you couldnt list this on ebay as body parts are a violation of their policy.

NY Times article on HBP
  • Options
    You have been busy. I am a AV-8B Harrier guy....with VMA-542 for many years and did a JTAC tour w/ 1/6 in Marjeh. Look forward to chatting w/ you in this forum. Meatloaf
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree, looks like a dead end overall. Oh well, thanks for all the great advice everyone! Meatloaf
  • Options
    Yeah, what's next? People sell teeth of famous athlete soon after they pass? That would be both sick and crazy at the same time. Sad truth is that there are people who would pay for these items. Mad world... Meatloaf
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards Meatloaf! And more importantly...thank you for your service!
    Hope you enjoy it here.
  • Options
    Teeth are collectible. Someone purchased Ty Cobb's wooden false teeth and donated them to the Hall of Fame.

That is the only teeth I've ever seen on display.

Dave
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Meat,

Welcome to the boards....and thank you for your service!

Now, turn on your Private Message (PM) function, so I can bust your balls about that ugly Jayhawk avatarimage

LOL - best of luck with your "teeth"

Dal
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Dennis Martinez was probably the Indians' pitcher that hit Kirby. >>

Captain Obvious has arrived

image >>

For a minute I thought it was his twin Captain Oblivious
  • Options
    PSA/DNA anyone??

I have a ton of Kirby stuff, but I think I'd pass on on this.

Stay safe!
  • Options
    I was hoping PSA/DNA may be able to do it; however, I cannot contact them until the 3rd. I wonder what their answer will be... Meatloaf
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Pardon me for trying to help some of those whose memories might not stretch back to the 1980s-1990s.

It won't happen again.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It might be worth noting that Puckett's final game was played on 9-28-95, not 9-29-95 as mentioned on the plaque.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25