Home Sports Talk

Two college football rule questions from Tennesse / NC bowl game

detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
(1) If the offense commits a penatly in the last portion (minute?) of a game, is there an automatic 10 second runoff like in the NFL (this happened in the Dallas / Washington game in the first game of the NFL season)?

(2) If the wide receiver lands out of bounds but is obviously "forced out", is it a catch?

Comments

• Watched it. That was ONE CRAZY ending. Congrats to North carolina.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(1) If the offense commits a penatly in the last portion (minute?) of a game, is there an automatic 10 second runoff like in the NFL (this happened in the Dallas / Washington game in the first game of the NFL season)? >>

No. There is no 10-second runoff rule in college football. However, even if there were such a rule, it would not have applied in the Tenn/UNC game. UNC legally stopped the clock with the spike, thus no runoff. Runoffs only occur when the penalty itself stops the clock - like a false start.

<< <i>(2) If the wide receiver lands out of bounds but is obviously "forced out", is it a catch? >>

There has never been a force out rule in college - you've always had to get a foot down*. In the NFL, they just got rid of the force out rule so it no longer applies there either.

Tabe

* - Implicit in your question is the idea that the UNC receiver was forced out but given a catch anyway. I'm in agreement with you - I didn't think he was in-bounds.