Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

added some poppage/ Joe Morgan poppage

I would appreciate any advice you guys could give me, should I grade the Jordans?

MINT 9 1993 FINEST 1 MICHAEL JORDAN REFRACTOR Card US
MINT 9 1993 FINEST 1 MICHAEL JORDAN REFRACTOR Card US
GEM MINT 10 1998 FINEST 81 MICHAEL JORDAN Card US
MINT 9 1995 FINEST DISH AND SWISH DS4 M.JORDAN/S.PIPPEN W/COATING Card US
GEM MINT 10 1997 FINEST 39 MICHAEL JORDAN REFRACTOR W/COATING Card US
MINT 9 OC 1995 FINEST MYSTERY M1 MICHAEL JORDAN Card US

Ok here it is do you guys think this morgan deserves a bump?

I really dont know to much about basketball at all, but took a huge chance all of them, all are refractors of Michael Jordan

Card #1

Card #2

Extras

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
Vintage Rookies

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I think the Morgan stands a real good chance at a .5 bump; a REAL good chance.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Morgan is worth a shot.

absolutely slab the Jordans, HUGE international appeal for those
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Should I use the $10.00 Special or under the $4.25 Special
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    The Sonny Jackson definitely deserves a second look since it's an old flip. You have a good chance at a .5 bump.

I think the Jordans are all grade-worthy, but I would peel the plastic covers first. They're more collectible that way, in my opinion.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mule ... I don't know too much about modern, but I would DEFINITELY take a shot with bumping that Morgan. NICE LOOKING CARD! Good Luck.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Hey Doug

I really dont know to much about modern either, especially basketball. But it was a chance I paid $275.00 for all of the Jordans.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    I don't know how grading on the jordans effects value, but if you're submitting it at the 4$ special you really can't go wrong due to the protection and whatnot of the case... Also I believe I read somewhere the foil makes them worth MORE, but that is taken into account as surface, if it is peeled off then the surface is typically a much higher grade.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, well, candlesticks always make a nice gift, and maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey Doug

I really dont know to much about modern either, especially basketball. But it was a chance I paid $275.00 for all of the Jordans. >>

I'm not clear why you would pay $275 for the cards, and then wring your hands over the prospect of paying $5 each to get them graded.
  • Options

How could they not give that Morgan a 9???

I have no idea about plastic covered cards, but if I was buying, I'd want the plastic on.
  • Options
    I am with Nightcrawler, that Morgan will easily get an 8.5, but has a definite chance at a 9.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    Should I crack out the Morgan or send it in for review?
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Yes on the Morgan... beautiful card.
  • Options
    +1 for Bull Durhamimage
    I NEED HANKS!!!
  • Options
    The Sonny Jackson Rookie looks great. I'd send it in.

The Jordan's: I would not send in the first one. The upper Right corner looks like it has a slight touch. It just depends on how many have been graded in 9's & 10'S.

Dave
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    Hey all. Can anyone here please explain to a newbie what is wrong with that Joe Morgan rookie to make it an 8? It looks centered, sharp corners, no chipping, no print marks that I can see. So what makes it an 8?

Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey all. Can anyone here please explain to a newbie what is wrong with that Joe Morgan rookie to make it an 8? It looks centered, sharp corners, no chipping, no print marks that I can see. So what makes it an 8? >>

I'm guessing top right corner. Hard to tell for sure, but it doesn't look as solid as the others. Other than that, it's probably just a case of the key cards getting more scrutiny. If that card was Sonny Jackson and Fred Morgan, it might already be a 9.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obvious ? I have for the OP is...How on earth would you value the opinion of anyone on the board with regards to the condition of a card you may want to send to PSA for grading? Why not just send the cards in and let the chips fall where they may? Only the grader will determine whether you have a PSA 9 or not, nobody else. Besides, no scan you can post will ever provide enough definition for any valid assessment, it requires a hands-on review.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey all. Can anyone here please explain to a newbie what is wrong with that Joe Morgan rookie to make it an 8? It looks centered, sharp corners, no chipping, no print marks that I can see. So what makes it an 8? >>

Top right corner.. And looks like chipping below the "TCG Printed in the USA" on the back. Chipping being "white spots" where it should be blue.

But I think it is a STRONG 8, with at least a .5 bump. Outside shot at a 9.

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>+1 for Bull Durhamimage >>

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely send in the Morgan/Jackson for review. It has a great shot at a .5 bump...image

The Jordons I have no idea about.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You got the Jordan's at a good price, but you'd leave a ton of money on the table by not getting them graded.

- The 95-96 you'll want to peel before subbing it since the peel is already starting to come up on a couple corners. Raw it sells for $100-$120, as a PSA 10 it's $400-$500.
    - The 93-94 both look really good and could eventually get into 10 slabs unless there's something I'm not seeing on the scan. Raw they are $120-$140 and $800-$900 as PSA 10s. I would keep cracking and resubbing until at least one is a 10.
    - The next one is a 95-96 Mystery Borderless. Doesn't look like a refractor to me. Worth about $15 raw, maybe $80-$100 as a PSA 10?
    - The 97-98 refractor can bring a couple hundred in PSA 10.
    - The 98-99 Finest doesn't look like a refractor to me and is the only one not worth grading.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The obvious ? I have for the OP is...How on earth would you value the opinion of anyone on the board with regards to the condition of a card you may want to send to PSA for grading? Why not just send the cards in and let the chips fall where they may? Only the grader will determine whether you have a PSA 9 or not, nobody else. Besides, no scan you can post will ever provide enough definition for any valid assessment, it requires a hands-on review. >>

While no scan will catch everything, it is possible that people on this board will notice flaws that make a card highly unlikely to receive a bump (or highly unlikely to receive the desired grade). It's at least worth asking.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I know I'm late , but yes on the Morgan.---Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice, I will keep all of you posted when the Grades come in. So Im just going to cross my fingers image
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Bump for poppage on the michael jordans.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    The sub popped for the Joe Morgan

NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1965 TOPPS 16 ASTROS ROOKIES J.MORGAN/S.JACKSON

It did get the jump yeaaaa.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the Morgan bump. It really is a super-looking card.
    Brett
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the bump and good eye on your part.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Well done - I would think it's worth the dough to try another bump...when the time is right of course. It's a sweet 8.5.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the kind words. I think later on I will try another bump, It's a really nice card.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies