Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cracker Jack and Turkey Red Reprint Sets

I have complete reprints sets of Turkey Red and Cracker Jack. The Turkey Red set is the normal 3.5" x 2.5". The Cracker Jack set is a little smaller (probably the same size as the original set.

My question is - who made them and where do I find them in the SCD? There are not dates on them or manufacturer and they do not say reprint anywhere on them. These are not the perforated Dover Reprints.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found out that the Turkey Red Set was produced in 1982 by Renata Galasso. Dean's Cards has the set for $150. I can't find the set in the SCD. Why is it not there? Fritsch has the Cracker Jack set but doesn't give any info.

Shane

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    We made a conscious decision back in the 1980s not to list most reprint sets. There are probably a few exceptions scattered throughout the catalog (1952 Topps, for one), but it was felt that since anybody who reprinted a set could reprint more at will (this was back in the days before player image rights, team logo rights, etc., became a big issue (i.e., before baseball cards became big business), these sets would not attain any collectible value.

It would be good to have, somewhere in readily accessible media, a list of all the sets that were reprinted back in the 1980s-1990s, but that's outside the scope of my work.

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Shane,

I just went through my Renata Galasso "Baseball-Hobby Card Report" (BHCR) magazines and found the T3 reprint set listed. It was offered for sale in late '82 or early '83 for $9.99 or $6.99 for BHCR subscribers.

I thought I'd struck out on the Cracker Jack set but finally found it in a separate advertising brochure from Renata Galasso. The brochure was published in 1986 and said you could buy the "NEW! 1915 CRACKER JACK REPRINT SET" for $15.00, or $12.99 for subscribers. The ad was in the same format as the T3 set, so it would appear to me that Renata's company also reprinted this set.

I can scan the ads if you needed them for documentation for whatever you're up to. I'm not sure what the current value of the sets would be. I did purchase the 1933 Goudey reprint set. This later ad also shows the T3 set being available for half-off the $10 price. Wish I would've gotten that one too. It's a beaut!

Hope this helps...
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

Thanks for the info. I had a suspicion that the Cracker Jack was made by RGI after confirming that the T3 set was, but I wasn't sure. I have them both listed on Ebay. I had them both out in my garage. This week I was selling some similar items, so I thought I would list them to see what they would do.

You're right - that T3 set is a looker!

Shane

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have the T3 reprint set. Got mine from Renatta Galasso way back when. Love the set.

Mike Wheat has also done a T3 reprint set - only his is full-size and far more expensive ($10-$20 per card).

Tabe
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also have the T3 reprint set. Got mine from Renatta Galasso way back when. Love the set.

Mike Wheat has also done a T3 reprint set - only his is full-size and far more expensive ($10-$20 per card).

Tabe >>

Mike Wheat also added cards of Honus Wagner and Joe Jackson to his set.

Steve