Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Favorite Buy of 2010

I posted this in the US forum but figured i'd post here as well since you guys seem to like these and technically these medals would be foreign...

This one comes from my personal obsession - Jacques Wiener 60mm "Greatest Cathedrals of the World". Last year I was able to pick up the reference book on them (you think finding US reference books is tough...) and this year I finally secured a case. The case holds 10 medals, two rows with five colums. It came with 6 medals (see the second pic) and I added in four more that I already had to "complete" the case once again (see the last pic).

The case is fairly old and raggity, but it gives it a "loved" look. I was actually able to secure two within days of eachother and the other should be here shortly and has a bright pink interior. I think the other case may have been reupholstered (is that the correct term?) at some point though.

Along with the 6 medals, I now have 27 medals; 24 different ones with three duplicates plus one of the 50mm Belgium churches.

Enjoy!

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Cool set; especially with the case.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    wow, gotta love them original cases! congrats
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    For some reason I am a sucker for old boxes.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>For some reason I am a sucker for old boxes. >>

Me too image Even if they are torn, damaged, and have a little chunk missing. Oh well, the little hook "locking mechanism" (hook and loop?) still works haha
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For some reason I am a sucker for old boxes. >>

Ditto, that medal case is super cool!

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know there were boxes for those......very cool!image
    Becky
  • Options
    Nice pickup and medals
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Me too. Very cool indeed.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    The boxes are fairly tough to locate - i was ecstatic to find mine image

Thanks for the comments guys

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Is your 10 piece collection complete or is there an official 10 piece collection? He did many cathedrals as you alude to with your collection. I feel privileged to own one of his medals, the Cathedral at Trondjem, Norway. Yours are truly spectacular.
    Paul
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Off the top of my head I believe there are 40 medals in this series (The 60mm "Greatest Cathedrals of Erope"; not to be confused with the 50mm Belgium cathedrals or other architectural one's he's done), plus an additional four cologne medals at different stages of completion during the renovation of the church and the York medal was also struck in french.

I currently have 24 different medals - so i'm 21 short of a "complete set" or 16 short of the more traditional set.

Your medal is actually one i'm still missing image

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Really neat!image