Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1982 Variation People - Doug Bair Question?

Just going through some stuff and noticed this:

Note the printer cross hair going through the O in Doug on the card on the left. Is this a variation?

Tony
Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989

Comments

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    no
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • I notice that the auto isnt so dark on the cross hair version
    any connection to the "blackless" ?
    doubt it, but I threw it out there
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Not blaclkess related. Printer's mark ? They show up on occassion
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • the black didnt run out all at once
    it was gradual
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Why not a variation? Look at what the 89 Fleer Jeff Treadway sells for. That one has a similar crosshair. I think its pretty cool. Though I know it would not command much of a premium, there are definitely collectors for stuff like this out there.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not a variation? Look at what the 89 Fleer Jeff Treadway sells for. That one has a similar crosshair. I think its pretty cool. Though I know it would not command much of a premium, there are definitely collectors for stuff like this out there. >>

If you could find 10, 20 or 100 similar Bair's, then it would be a variation. Treadway was removed because it looked like a target. When it is only one that exists...it is not a variation, as it does not reflect a conscious choice by the manufacturer to remove...rather, it slipped through QC by accident.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Hate to sound "old school," but this is just a printing flaw - nothing more, and not not a variation like true variations in '58T YL and WL.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    A "true variation"...and what exactly is that by definition ? A card intentionally changed by the manufacturer ? The 58 Herrer, the 57 Bakep, and the 52 Campos black star are all high priced "variations", but all 3 are just print defects. Are all the 62 greenies variations, or only print defects except for the pose changes ? In some cases, like the 59 trade/option cards and the 3 Spahn DOB cards it is fairly clear. Others listed variations are not so clear. The entire 82 Blackless set mentioned earlier ( 396...or 400 by some counts) is just a run of print defects, but they fetch a premium and are recognized in the catalogs ( they can be found without any black ink or in light gray )

An endless debate exacerbated by all the print defects being discovered thanks to internet scans
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al