Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1962 Topps Stamps, did I do ok? Experts chime in.

I love collecting oddball Koufax "cards"/items and happen to run into a few auctions on ebay which really stuck out at me.

First was a 1962 Topps Stamps panel graded by PSA offered by BMW Cards for $750 OBO, this one is the full panel with Hobie Landrith as the other stamp:

The BMW Card example intrigued me so I kept searching for these '62 Topps Stamps of Koufax, found another one which was seperated from the panel, PSA 9 for $495:

Then another one which was almost the full panel connected with a Bob Shaw PSA 7 for $450 , missing the Topps flap which I assume makes it incomplete compared to the BMW version:

Then I run into a raw stamp, full panel connected with a Bob Shaw for $35, perforations are all intact and looks absolutely mint <---I bought the stamp with intentions to submit it to PSA and throw it in my Koufax collection.

Question to the '62 Topps Stamp experts, does the Koufax/Shaw panel variation make it more common? Does the BMW version with Landrith make theirs more rare?
Is mine too good to be true? Will it grade when I submit it to PSA?

Ultimate question is are all of the other graded ones WAY overpriced?

Either way I am very happy to have this one in my collection.

Thanks for listening.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff - looks like a nice one!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    if you want to chase the stamps, i'd suggest going after the panels like the one you just bought.....those graded examples are too expensive to mess with when there seems to be an increased amount of these hitting the market, so be patient....that single stamp Koufax PSA 9 was a gift with the bluriness and chipped teeth on the left, JMO.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    At first I thought youd bought that EXTREMELY over priced BMW one ... or then I thought you bought the EXTREMLY ugly offregister and overpriced PSA-9 one...

You did good and didnt fall for the OVERPRICED hype! The True Value is much closer to what you paid.
  • Options
    Nice stamps, when I put this set together years ago the Koufax/Landrith was the last one that I needed to complete the panel set. It was hard to find centered.

Not sure if you got a good price or not, but I would only buy them in complete panels and raw. You will get them cheaper raw and you can always send them to PSA.

I have not sent mine to PSA as of yet.

Brian
    Complete not Graded as of yet
    1962 Topps Baseball Set
    1962 Panel Stamp Set (245)
    62 Empty Wax Box & Wrapper Set

Looking for 1962 Salesmen Samples
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

If PSA overgrades them, they end up selling at SUPER high prices.

Better to look for nice raw ones and submit them to PSA yourself.

The PSE link above details the grading scheme that I think should
    be used to conservatively grade the TOPPS "stamps."

As itzagoner noted, the 9 Koufax is way overgraded. I would classify
    it as "problem" item in an expensive slab.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The stamps aren't worth anything close to those prices of the graded examples. They are extremely common and not hard to find in high grade. And any panel missing the tab might as well just be separated, they are virtually worthless as panels even though PSA grades them as such. Some stamps are harder to find centered, but I don't know of any known original shortage of supply of any particular panel more so than any other panel. The biggest condition issue is the corner cut, as often a corner will be left with just a tiny nub of the stamp and these are prone to creasing on the little nub.

The example you bought looks like a 7, you paid an appropriate price for it.