Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID/ info need on coin

My wife and I visited a local coin shop this afternoon and I picked up this coin. I usually don't buy coins I can't read but this one looked interesting and the price was right (I think). Anyone have any information on the coin? The holder says Rasulid Yemen 1400's I'm pretty sure it's silver. The coin is very thin and about 27mm in dia. I'm not sure if I have the correct orientation or not. TIA

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I was gonna say I have no idea, though the holder sounds right - and then I searched VCoins for rasulid. It seems to match the style of some of them. Afraid I can't be much more use than that though.

Pretty neat anyhow image
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your pics are upside down. Arabic, even the somewhat archaic script used on these older coins, always "holds water" if you imagine rain falling down from the top of the coin. It is indeed silver; the denomination is a dirham, the standard Islamic silver coin.

Here's the Rasulid page at zeno.ru. By the 1400s Yemeni coins were becoming more ornate and less like the classical Caliphate coins that this still resembles. I'm thinking more 1200s or 1300s.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, image fixed.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don