Home U.S. Coin Forum

How to remove a coin from a money clip?

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
Hello all – I purchased this on the bay a few months ago and while I love it I cannot seem to be able to remove the coin from the money clip. The money clip is only steel so it is worthless to me and I just want to be able to show the coin by itself.

Any idea how these were married up? How can I separate them without destroying the coin (I can destroy the clip, that is not a problem)

For those who care: the ‘coin’ is a .999 silver planchet struck by the cancelled die of an 1884CC Morgan Dollar – very neat I think, even if it really only is bullion.

Ideas?

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to be soldered to the clip. I would leave well enough alone.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Solder will melt with heat. So. *gulp* Put it on the stove. Carefully.

I have disassembled soldered items successfully in this way. But never a coin.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's really solder you're going to have to get it pretty darned hot. But you don't need molten solder so maybe just softening it up that way would work.

If it's not solder...if it's an epoxy or some sort of glue, you can try dipping it in acetone or xylene. But I have my doubts that will be enough to dissolve the old glue. You might try dry ice on the clip...get it really cold enough to make the glue brittle and snap off. That's an old tried-and-true method for stubborn adhesives on coins.

I like it. I hope you can rescue it.
    Lance.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Insert icon of one biting ones lip here. Hmmmm
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you check recent sales you will see that these are not valued at melt. Your cancelled
    die struck silver dollar is quite collectible. They are done in copper as well.
    edited: it looks impaired due to cleanings and pocket wear.

bob
    imageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the solder how hot you might have to get it.

If I were you I would let a jeweler look at it.
    He could tell you very quickly if it could be removed. ( I think it can.)
    He should be able to remove it for you for minimal cost.
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭

<< <i>edited: it looks impaired due to cleanings and pocket wear. >>

Actually it has no wear, at least from me. As for the color, that was the result of an acetone bath. I sorta like the color so I did not try to dip it off.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    A pair of these should do it

Kidding! image
  • this looks to be in a bezel the first picture shows no reeding on the dollar I think it is not soldered or glued but will need the bezel pulled back from the rim of the coin.
    There is actually no bezel - these were struck on .999 silver planchets at the old Carson City mint. I am told this happened in the 1990's.

The 'Dollar' is actually just the obverse cancelled die of an 1884 CC dollar, I am told that they did not make many as they were concerned about the dies breaking although I dont have a mintage.

They also produced another one from the reverse die an 1878CC dollar - I am still looking for a silver version of this one.
  • I second the motion.. to take it to a jeweler to be freed from the bezel !

COOL find !!!
  • pretty cool item
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So cool; I'd leave it alone.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it might be silver soldered in place and dought it can be removed as the melting points of the solder and the silver will be to close to not damage the coin. When made the clip was heated and solder appilied then coin placed in place at cooling temp to form weld.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd just give it to my wife. She can extract money out of most anything.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    so the round thing is all one piece? a uniface round struck with a cancelled die and edge has no reeds?

I was going to suggest acetone for possible glue, but it sounds like you already did that

next effort would be small torch to melt the solder - not sure what it would do to the round

is it silver? would it actually be worth more separated from the clip? even if it showed solder marks therfore ex-jewelry?
    I think I will ask a jeweler like some had suggested. But if they don't have a viable option I will just leave it as is. The heat involved options are too risky from what I can tell. I will just keep it in my collection while searching for a non-mounted piece.

Thanks all and if a jeweler can help I will post a picture of the newly liberated coin/medal
    http://www.uspatterns.com/1884ccobverse.html

The Nevada City Mint was (is?) located in Nevada City, California. It was operated by Don and Kenneth Schmitz. The Schmitz’s contracted with the Nevada State Museum to strike medals on the Carson City Mint press, (which was revamped in the shops of the Virginia & Truckee R.R. in 1878). They also made up silver ingots and other souvenirs for the State Museum. In September 1997 they restruck silver dollars from cancelled dies. They struck uniface copies, both obverse (1884) and reverse on 1 oz. planchets. For a restrike using both dies, obverse and reverse, a 2 oz. planchet was used. I was told that they were struck on a hydraulic press in Nevada City because of the fear of breaking the old cancelled dies. After striking, the dies were returned to the Museum, supposedly, never to be used again. The number of items returned to the Museum for sale by the Museum according to their staff were as follows: 25 sets of the 1 oz. and 2 oz. pieces; 100 pieces from the reverse dies which were made into money clips. The uniface pieces were sold for $30.00 each and the 2 oz. piece sold for $60.00.

The California Numismatist, Summer 2005

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file