Home Sports Talk

How about we talk about a real football team-NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Number 1 seed and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with the best quarterback in the history of football.

Comments

• jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    The Patriots, will likely never be able to recover from the loss of all time great Randy Moss !

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

The vikings did not keep him long did they ! That should tell you something.

• << <i>Number 1 seed and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with the best quarterback in the history of football. >>

They are due for a bad game. Steelers, jets, and Ravens all have great defenses.
    Hmm seems like they just killed all of them
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got routed at home last year in 1st round and this year will be no different, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

completely different team and it will be with different results

• << <i>Hmm seems like they just killed all of them >>

You just proved my point lol. They are due for an off-day.

They were 1-1 against the jets this year and the Ravens beat them on their turf in last years palyoffs.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmm seems like they just killed all of them >>

They were 1-1 against the jets this year and the Ravens beat them on their turf in last years palyoffs. >>

A wise man once told me "The Las Vegas shelters are full of guys who subscribed to the 'they're due' theory"
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Wilt Chamberlin once said " It's hard to root for Goliath " in explaining some of his lack of a tremendous fan base.

The Patriots will be solid Goliath-like favorites in every game they play, until the season ends, and quite deservedly so.
    It is more conventional, or fun perhaps, to root for the underdog, and upsets certainly do happen.

Their point differential far exceeds any other playoff team, and they shall play all home games throughout the playoffs and then would have a neutral field, if they get into the Super Bowl.

The distractions of Moss are gone, the pro bowl tackle Mankins is back, newcomers, Woodhead, McCourty, Hernandez, and Gronkowski have all progressed very well.

Emotionally, one may dislike the squad, but rationally, one must see they are truly an outstanding team.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmm seems like they just killed all of them >>

They were 1-1 against the jets this year and the Ravens beat them on their turf in last years palyoffs. >>

A wise man once told me "The Las Vegas shelters are full of guys who subscribed to the 'they're due' theory" >>

2007 Patriots?
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    The Patriots will be vulnerable if they get two of the tough defense teams. If they get a draw like KC or Indy and only have to play one game vs. a physical team they should make the Super Bowl.
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Number 1 seed and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with the best quarterback in the history of football. >>

I don't know. There have been a lot of great quarterbacks in the history of football. But I think he's in the conversation.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• We will see! GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell ya what Im still sore about the 2007 Super Bowl, I will not plan any celebrations until we hoist the Lombardy Trophy if it happens.

I LOVE our chances but there is a ton of football left to be played
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Number 1 seed and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with the best quarterback in the history of football. >>

They are due for a bad game. Steelers, jets, and Ravens all have great defenses. >>

Sorry, they got their bad game out of the way in Cleveland.

They are set for bear(s) or whoever else they have to play at Foxboro stadium throughout the playoffs.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I just do not see any defenses good enough to stop the Pats.

I hope they don't play their starters too long today!

<< <i>I hope they don't play their starters too long today! >>

Half time, starters still in there.
    They have already lost Woodhead.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The Pats won today, 38-7, in a meaningless game where Tom Brady didn't have his top 3 receivers to throw to. The Dolphins only scored their lone 7 points with two minutes to go in the game. This is pretty amazing, when you look at what the Pats are winning with. And they do it with understated class and excellence. While Rex Ryan is sucking on feet and running his fat mouth about everything, Belichick just keeps quiet and wins.
    While Rex Ryan is sucking on feet and running his fat mouth about everything, Belichick just keeps quiet and wins.

You forgot videotaping other teams practicing..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    That does not count in New England
  • You forgot videotaping other teams practicing..

ha, ha, ha.
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While Rex Ryan is sucking on feet and running his fat mouth about everything, Belichick just keeps quiet and wins.

You forgot videotaping other teams practicing.. >>

That guy works for Denver now (well, he did anyway) image
  • The Divisional Playoff Round's Jets at Patriots game is certainly a premiere game this weekend. The Super Bowl I would most like to see pits the top team of this generation versus the top team of all-time:

New England Patriots (3 titles last decade)

vs.

Green Bay Packers (12 titles all-time, #1 by far)

The past few weeks, more fickle fans lament with statements similar to "I'm sick of seeing the Patriots there". I'm not. Many people dislike the best teams because they resent success. Over the long-term, experiencing greatness trumps experiencing parity for many true sports fans. I certainly don't want to see a different team win every year.

Rookie tight ends, a banged-up Welker, and Danny Woodhead, yet Brady has 36 TDs to 4 INTs. Remarkable offense, with the defense solidifying a lot this season.

So though I'm an Eagles fan with no connection to New England, for the next few weeks I must say, "Go Patriots".

The snow is deep and the B.S is even deeper on this game.

• Im just grateful they just hold it up and not have to FLY 'em!

• Tom Brady plays terrificly in cold weather.
    Mark Sanchez is a So Cal boy.
    The temperature in Foxboro for Sunday's Jets / Patriots game has a forecast high of 31, low of 7.

Most know the Patriots' bye week means they're less likely to be banged up than the Jets, sure.
    One can contend that a bye week is more of an asset to a coach that tirelessly studies - Belichick - than it is to some other coaches. Belichick will have more time to prepare than Rex Ryan does.

I don't think the Jets verbally firing shots across the bow (Ryan, Cromartie) matters at all.
    It's the NFL so anything can happen. If I were betting (I'm not), I would choose the Pats to win, and probably cover too.
  • Haven't seen a REAL football team since 1978

• << <i>Tom Brady plays terrificly in cold weather.
    Mark Sanchez is a So Cal boy.
    >>

Yep, like a Michigan vs USC January Rose bowl game at the big house. If i were a gambling man, i would bet on Michigan image

Are we ready for some football?

imageimage
    I suppose it's understandable that Philly fans don't have much to do but come on over and check out a team that actually advanced last week, LOL..

<< <i>I suppose it's understandable that Philly fans don't have much to do but come on over and check out a team that actually advanced last week, LOL.. >>

One more half, go JETS(for this week)!
    completely different team and it will be with different results

BWAHHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• New England WHO?
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    I was surprised by that outcome today. I thought the Pats would go far.
    Time to change the title of this thread....

Sincerely,

The Mods

LOL..

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

"Belichick just keeps quiet and wins."

he was even more quiet today after the game

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    how's that going for you ???
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Are we ready for some football? >>

YUP ... JETS are ready to play FOOTBALL on January 23. PATRIOTS ready to play, uh, uhm ... GOLF maybe???
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Pats=Overrated

• Been a while since patriots won a playoff game. Patriots fans thought they were going to destroy the jets and go on to win the super bowl.
    Almost everyone did outside of being a Jets fan.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    You have to hand it to Ryan. He found a way to take everyone's mind off the 45-3 (IIRC) shellacking this week by having them all focus on the trash talk.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Like most, I felt pretty good about the Patriots' chances of beating the Jets to go onto yet another AFC Championship Game. Wrong!

It appears to me that a lot of fans are knee-jerk, "What have you done for me lately?"-types. Of course, when a team wins they're usually not as good as one of these types think, when they lose they're not as bad as one thinks.

Consequently: yes, by the Patriots' lofty standards, it has been a while since they won a playoff game. Let's remember that as recently as the beginning of this season, experts did not project the Patriots to go far or compile a regular season record nearly as good as 14-2, nor Brady to throw a fantastic 36 TDs against just 4 INTs. Most didn't know if the New England defense was even good enough to qualify the team for the playoffs. Devin McCourtey played like a future star. Recall that expectations were raised in a hurry. Remember that the Patriots have a boatload of top draft picks upcoming.

Tom Brady still has an enviable and lofty playoff record of 14-5.

Distance...perspective...long view.

• << <i>

Distance...perspective...long view. >>

His record isnt very good since they got caught cheating.

• << <i>

<< <i>

His record isnt very good since they got caught cheating. >>

A 14-2 season "isn't very good"?

The NFL will soon name their MVP. I wonder who that's going to be? Brady...still MVP...long after "Spygate". The long view should look on that rather favorably too.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

His record isnt very good since they got caught cheating. >>

A 14-2 season "isn't very good"?

The NFL will soon name their MVP. I wonder who that's going to be? Brady...still MVP...long after "Spygate". The long view should look on that rather favorably too. >>

Whats his playoff record since spygate?