Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Took a serious dive into the darkside, couple of rare coins - NEWPS

I primarily collect U.S coins, but if something foreign comes along that I like, I'll buy it. Usually these amount to silver and I don't pay much if any over melt. However last night all that changed as I picked up 2 pretty tough coins, a German 1933-G 5m Martin Luther and an 1898 Korea 1 yang KM-1119. The Korean coin has real nice luster still but you would never know by my horrible pics.

Not sure if I'll be buying anything else this expensive that is foreign, but being Lutheran it was hard to pass on the Martin Luther, and the Korean coin looked really nice so I purchased that one too. Over all it was an expensive night for me as I purchased a 1901-S U.S Half Eagle too.

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I don't know Korean coins, but with a mintage of only 12,000 pieces, the "G" (Karlsruhe) mint Luther 5M is quite scarce. AU58 is very nice for this coin, as I have never seen one in Mint State. Nice pick up. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    So it begins.

It always starts with a few cheapos.

Then something a little more dear.

But just that once.

Until you find yourself wondering where to find holders for all these pretty new coins that don't fit snugly in US coin-sized holders.

You'll be a Darksider yet imageimage

BTW, there is a ton of Luther related material out there stretching back centuries, much of it very affordable. Check out some of the early 1800s medals for the 300th anniversary of the Reformation for starters. Here are several from a good German website - more in a different category there

Oh, and great coins too! Especially like the Korean image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The one yang is beautiful! I regret to inform you, however, that the image on the right is upside down!

At any rate, I have never gotten around to acquiring the higher silver denominations of the period. One day...
  • Options
    I figured out it was upside down after I posted the pic lol. I'm going to try and take a better pic today, because the reverse is nice as the obverse but the lighting is way off on that photo.