Options

Can anyone identify this coin ?

Obverse
Reverse

It walked into my store today.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's ancient, as I'm sure you already deduced. Looks Roman Republican in style, but I'm not used to seeing those in bronze. More likely to be Greek, I suppose. I can't read the lettering. Again, from the style, I would put it somewhere in the first two centuries BC.

There's my wild guess. This is one for the more seasoned experts on ancient coins.

It's interesting how much the head resembles that on a US Barber dime. Of course the Barber coins were throwbacks to classical antiquity, but it's really neat how close the resemblance is in this case.

I think you've got "obverse" and "reverse" backward. The "heads" side would be obverse. Looks like a laureate head (of Apollo?) on your "reverse", maybe?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I have other photos of this coin taken with my digital camera. Let me put those up and see if they help.

Yes, the obverse and reverse are reversed.
  • Options
    If I could just figure out what that is on the side opposite the "heads" side.

I think the laureate head might be Apollo.

But what is the thing on the other side? An axe head? A saddle, with straps hanging down? I'm mentally turning it this way and that, and can't figure it out. If one could figure out what it was, that would be one more keyword that would help with a Wildwinds search.

The mystery item also has some lettering that is tantalizingly close to being recognizable, but I can't make that out, either.

It's obviously ancient and pretty apparently from one of the classical Western civilizations along the Mediterranean- Greece or Rome- and I think it's from the first two centuries BC. But again, I'm shootin' in the dark.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Here are the photos that I took with my digital camera.

Photo #1
    Photo #2
    Photo #3
  • Options
    The first pictures were better.

I think that's a double-headed axe on the side opposite the laureate head. I've tried some searching on Wildwinds with the keyword "axe" and/or "labrys" (apparently an ancient word for such an axe), but I haven't come up with anything similar yet.

Sapyx? Civitas? Coachleonard? Wherefore art thou?

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been having trouble logging in today, so I've been slow in responding. image

I'd agree that it's a double-headed axe, and I've also had trouble finding any info on Wildwinds.

A better pic of the reverse might help in deciphering the lettering. I still can't tell if it's Greek (if it is, FIR... is my best guess at reading it) or if it's some other script, like Phoenician.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Lest ye think it's something wrong with you or your 'puter, I should say that your trouble logging in is not a private problem- it's been shared by just about everybody.

• Options
    The customer took the coin home with them, so I can't get more photos.

I do seem to recall that the obverse was raised.

Anyone care to take a gander of what it's worth ? I'd like to buy it if I can.
  • Options
    In that condition, not much, unless it can be attributed and turns out to be some super-rare variety.

As is, call it your run-of-the-mill pick bin "mystery ancient". Such can often be had for a dollar or less for the small coins.

I've got three or four little ancient mysteries around here, all in sad shape.

PS- though the chances of that coin having much monetary value are slim, I've still enjoyed puzzling over it. These mysteries can be quite fun.

Hats off in memory of our late and lamented Brad Swain/Tbirde56, one of the best "whatzit" solvers, who often nailed coin IDs down in mere minutes, if not seconds. RIP, Brad.

• Options
    Thanks for the info !
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    It's a Roman provincial from Aphrodisias in Caria. Minted under Augustus (his portrait on the obverse) circa 27 B.C. - 14 A.D.

You can kind of make out the 'FRODI' part of the legend on the reverse next to the double axe.

RPC I 2838

Worth $10 retail at the very most.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Bravo!