Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Oakland Athletics July 4th 1999 One game Jersey, anyone know anything?

Hello and good day to everyone, I'm new here and I've looked everywhere for 10 years trying to find information on a Oakland Athletics July 4th 1999 one game only special jersey that I bought at the game. Me and my uncles and a couple friends attended the game which was advertised as the last California VS California game of the 20th century and it rocked, we were four rows back of home plate..... Best seats ever!!! Anyway the A's wore special one game only jerseys that were an edition of 250 made and only a few were actually sold at the concession stand and each jersey was numbered,, for instance mine is #23/250 and I also bought the matchIng baseball cap and kept my ticket stubs oh and I also bought a team signed baseball (real signatures nit faxcimilies) anyway since the game I've tried to find information on the cal and jersey but cannot find any information on these jerseys and I'd like to know what they are worth if anything? I sure hope it's worth a little money because if I remember right I paid like $250.00 for the jersey when I went to the concession stand when the CA Angels came up to bat.... Maybe it was $250.00 for the hat, the jersey, and the ball but I seem to remember it was $250.00 for the jersey... Anyway they are very nice jerseys and most were given to the team and coaches and other people associated with the team so all but a smal amount were sold.... Solo if anyone has any information on these jerseys please let me know? I don't particularly want to sell it but I would like to find out any information and possible value and is it more valuable if I have them valued as a set with the jersey, matching hat and ticket stubs and the team signed baseball? Or are they worth more separate? The colors weren't the typical A's colors because of the 4th of July 1999 so the colors were of course Red, White, and Blue..... When we lived in Florida there was a weekly flea market and there was a guy there most of the time that sold sports cards and other baseball items and he said the ball could be up to $600.00 or more if the signatures were real and nit by a machine, the jersey with hat and ticket stubs he offered maybe &500.00 for the set and offered $1000.00 for everything including the team autographed ball (I think there are maybe 25 or so signatures on the ball?) anyway I hope to hear from you guys on this and I can take pictures of the Jersey if you want to see it

Bill
BadaBing what a thing

Comments

• Options
    Pictures would help here.
  • Options
    Not sure what you're asking here.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    i'm sure they have gone down in value since 1999 due to no demand (the only demand for these shirts/caps was the day you were at the game).....The only jerseys/caps that would have any value today would be the ones actually worn by the players.

pictures would help with the ball as I know of no team that sells genuine hand signed team balls @ games (maybe it was a one day promo for charitable purposes)....If it were indeed hand signed, the value might be in the $100-$125 range (other than Giambi & Tejada, who was on the A's in 1999?).

you should have sold out to the Flea Market guy in FL while you had the chance.

sounds like you had a great time that day at the ballaprk, but I don't think what you brought back with you has any real collectible value...(other than the ball if genuine)

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    The ball is likely worth around $150 if authentic.

The jersey I would sell with the ticket. I would likely include the cap as well. I also, don't imagine you could get over $100 for the set of all three. A buyer could buy a real game worn jersey with a couple extra $20.

None of my comments mean anything since you did not provide images and I am just shooting in the dark....meaning I am not giving you an appraisal or like.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    More on pricing...

With the mass of game used items on the market....there really isnt any interest I imagine for the items you noted.

For example...

Here is a game used cap by Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Joel Hanrahan used on June 10, 2010 in a game against the Detroit Tigers. During this game, which was Detroit's 16th annual Negro League tribute game, the Pirates wore Pittsburgh Crawford uniforms, while the Tigers wore the respective Negro League uniforms of the Detroit Stars. It is also certified by the MLB and by Steiner.

I imagine a cap like this would be worth 5x or more what you cap would be worth. I bought this cap for $35.00. Most game-used items sell for less then what the item would cost new...or there about.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    The two teams played again for a 3 games series in September (in Anaheim). The A's also hosted the Giants (of California) for 3 games in mid July.
  • Options
    Whoever told you $600 for that baseball must be smoking some good stuff
  • Options
    The OP noted, "of the 20th century." You need to find a later 1999 game to show it wrong.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the pictures!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>The OP noted, "of the 20th century." You need to find a later 1999 game to show it wrong. >>

How is mid July and September not later? What calender do you use?
  • Options
    Sorry, for the misunderstanding, you didnt include a year.
  • Options
    Hello again all, well as foe the guy at the flea markets offer, maybe he was a big Oakland Athletics fan? The ball is definitely NOT a machine signed ball or a facsimile, one can typically tell a facsimilie or a machine signed ball... For instance with a machine the signatures are typically uniform and smoothe, the depth on the impression from the pen tip is the same on all signatures and the ball is clean and no smudges or other imperfections..... With hand signed balls as with any other hand signed item the pen strokes change between players and there are hesitations when a human signs an item, more so on uneven things like balls and stuff like that, the pen colors change at times from signature to signature, there are imperfections in the signatures and imperfections like ink spots and speckles from a player shaking a pen to try and get it to write... And this ball has all the hallmarks of being an authentic hand signed ball.... I've seen many hand signed items and have a lot in my various collections which range from sports cards and other Memorabelia , I collect movie and tv props and wardrobe and costumes that are screen used and screen worn and several are autographed... So I'm not a rube or uneducated about the stuff.... When I talked to the guy at the flea market I wasn't looking to sell the collection, I was trying to see if there was interest in the items but I bought these items for our daughters collection of stuff we buy for her.... If anyone is going to sell the stuff it'll be her, we have bought her a lot of collectable stuff over the years and these items are part of her stuff so I have no intention to sell them... I really don't sell anything we've bought to collect, ever.... Anyway your missing the significance of the game itself which was advertised as the last California versus California game of the 20th century, and the jerseys were unlike any other Athletics jersey in the past... I mean they didn't even use the typical green and yellow that you typically see in Athletics uniforms... I will try to take and post a picture of the jersey if I can in the next few days so I'm sorry I haven't posted them yet but they are packed away in storage for safekeeping, we just don't have room for everything we collect so some ends up sealed and stored for safe keeping... Anyway thanks

Sandman
    BadaBing what a thing