Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian large cent attribution help

This is from an 1859 N9 Canadian large cent and I don't see it in any of the books I have... anyone have any direction? I'm having trouble telling if it's triple punched or machine doubling.. It is on the N in one

This is a piece I just picked up.. nice looking 1859/8 I believe it is an RD2/OI1 looking for confirmation from the experts

thanks for the help

Ken
If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The first image looks like a tripled die, maybe even a quadrupled die? Notice the separated serifs.

I'd like to see more opinions though. I do not know this series at all.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    From Rob Turner's Volume 2 of "The 1858 Cents of Provincial Canada", you have an 1859/8 large cent .. most probably Obverse die OI1 with reverse die RD2, but I see no mention of the tripled N in ONE. You should post these images on the Canadian Coin Reference site, as Rob is most often on there.... your other post there with the N did not show that it was a 9/8. If I have the die pair correct, then your coin was on about 4% of the total 9/8 coins minted.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Answered on CCRS.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Ken, the close up of the N looks like a doubled, rather than a triple. the edges are fairly well defined, to see there are only two "hits".
    IMHO
    Dick
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From Rob Turner's Volume 2 of "The 1858 Cents of Provincial Canada", you have an 1859/8 large cent .. most probably Obverse die OI1 with reverse die RD2, but I see no mention of the tripled N in ONE. You should post these images on the Canadian Coin Reference site, as Rob is most often on there.... your other post there with the N did not show that it was a 9/8. If I have the die pair correct, then your coin was on about 4% of the total 9/8 coins minted. >>

these are 2 sperate coins the first one with the multiple punched N is a 1859 N9 coin while the other is a 1859/8 sorry for the confusion

Ken
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......