Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Topsy and Harry--Two Pop 1 8.5s in the T206 set

Tully "Topsy" Hartsel was a solid major leaguer who played 14 years for the Athletics, Orphans, Colonels and Reds. At just 5'5", Topsy led the league in walks 5 times and had a career batting average of .276.

Harry Hinchman, on the other hand only played 15 games in the majors with the Cleveland Naps in 1907. The switch-hitting second baseman batted just .216 in 58 games and committed 9 errors.. His brother William Hinchman played 15 years in the majors.

What puts them together in my collection is not only that they were two of the cards which bumped to 8.5 from 8.0 on resubmission but they are both pop 1s in 8.5 with none higher. Not only is it kind of cool to have the best known example of a card but with serious T206 collectors it gives me a couple of bargaining chips if those collectors want to upgrade their 8s.

To view the cards see http://musicandsportscard.blogspot.com

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Jim , wow those are REALLY nice grades. Word will get around , I'm sure. I'll be checking your blog soon. ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    you didn't trade all the T206's in the Sport Kings deal?
    Congrats on the bumpage Jim!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thanks Sonny-Happy New Year.

Anthony,

I still have about 130 psa 8s in T206 and when I did the trade with Don they were just 8s. However now that they are 8.5s they will be in much higher demand I presume.

Are you aware of Don being active on any of his sets recently. I understand Charlie is back in the fray--at least on 1952 Topps and 1953 Bowman Color for 9s.

Happy new year to you and your family.

Jim

Jim
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Jim -- although there are a few of them out there, it seems quite rare that 8.5s or 9s from the T206 come to market anymore, and the dozen or so tens have all but disappeared. When PSA reviewed your T206s, did they put them in holders that denote the advertising back? I assume that most of your T206s are Piedmonts and Sweet Caps?

Great bumps -- are you planning to sell or trade them?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Marc,

Yes--the holders now denote the advertising back and they are all Piedmont or Sweet Cap.

I would trade any 8.5s for an 8 plus cash. The cash might have to be a lot however.

The bidding recently on the 1953 Bowman Color psa 9s has me interested in potentially swapping my 52 Topps and 53 Bowman Color 8.5s or 9s.

As you know, this is the way I have helped maximize the dollars spent all along.

Happy New Year.

Jim
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim,
    Nice bump on those too. You might consider selling the two 8.5 T206's and then using that money to buy those cards that you need in other sets. You will get a ton of money for those two as you know. The new player in the T206 will pay you handsomely for those and most likely will not have the PSA 8's to replace yours. I would contact someone to sell it for you on Ebay or contact a dealer who knows the collector above.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Shane,

Good point. I have a couple dealers who are plugged into what is going on and could contact a buyer. I would trade them or sell them as this is not a set I am looking to complete in PSA 8 or better.

Jim
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jim.

Beautiful cards!

And scans! Holy crap! I'm impressed - a new departure. Nice Blog.

The song list - is that "your" top list? Where's the top 100? That's a lot of songs!

I appreciate looking at the other cards in your blog also - sweet.

Thanx for sharing and Happy New Year!!
    Mike
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Hi Jim.

Beautiful cards!

And scans! Holy crap! I'm impressed - a new departure. Nice Blog.

The song list - is that "your" top list? Where's the top 100? That's a lot of songs!

I appreciate looking at the other cards in your blog also - sweet.

Thanx for sharing and Happy New Year!! >>

Hartsel looks taller on his card than he did in real life.--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Mike,

Happy New Year and thanks.

The song list is the 5th edition of my top songs of all time in order. This one goes to 1230. I am publishing them 25 at a time starting at the bottom and will have 25 more up today.

Truth be told my daughter scanned these cards over the Holidays but she could not figure out how to put them on this post. Hopefully before she returns to college she will teach me how to scan onto my blog. I hope to have another post up today with scans.

Sonny,

Sort of a Freddie Patek sized guy or maybe Albie Pearson.

Happy New Year.

Jim
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim,

Those are some amazing cards. Looks like they were ripped from packs just this morning!

Wishing your family and you a very HEALTHY New Year!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks Doug.

Happy and healthy new year to you.

Jim
  • Options
    Thanks Doug,

Happy and healthy new year to you.

Jim