Home Sports Talk

Gary Sheffield: A possible comeback? 3000 hits?

DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
Lifetime OPS+ 140
2689 total hits

I do believe he can still contribute. He was above average for the Mets in 2009. Actually, the only time he was a below average player was when he first started with the Brewers. Whether he can play full time or part time does not take away to how valuable he can be to a team. He should not play every single day, but he would be excellent if he can play most days and use rest days strategically. A team will always have some rookie or utility player that can sub for Sheffield on the off days. He will kind of be like how Tim Raines was used on the Yankees.

Actually, Sheffield would be excellent for a team like the Yankees who have a strong bench and are prepared when they have to rest their regulars. I suspect it would be awkward for the Yankees to take him back, so perhaps the Devil Rays might be the realistic bet.

He did not play last year because he felt he is at a stage where he needs to be on a contending team. Sheffield is not a young buck to be part of a rebuilding scheme, so I certainly understand his point of view. If he were only interested in padding his stats, he should have gone to the team that gave him the chance to be a full time player last year. While I am sure he would love to get 3000 hits, I see that he wants to play for the right reasons too.

I know a lot of people fault him on his character or attitude, but I think he is just out spoken and not shy in sharing what he thinks. He is not savy in the way he delivers something and the media just feasts on that. I think he is portrayed worse than he really is.

I know his name was on the Mitchell report, but its mysterious why there was no postive test on him like there was for Manny Ramirez and a list of other high profile players.

Link to article that he wants to play for a contender in 2011
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. At 42 years old. Good luck to him!
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Interesting. At 42 years old. Good luck to him! >>

If he's willing to accept a NRI, he'll surely get a few offers.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Here's where the whole "Character" thing comes into play. If he was a person with a proven track record as a team player, as a leader, as someone who takes time to help out younger players, he'd be in a much better position to find a team to employ him. But he's always been just the opposite: childish, selfish, unmanageable. Even Jim Leyland couldn't handle him in Detroit, and this is after Leyland worked to get him there (they won the '97 WS together in Florida). Add in the P.E.D. problem, and i think ol' Gary has played already played his last game.

Definitely NOT what Tampa needs...their days as a retirement home for players looking to pad career stats (McGriff, Boggs, Canseco) is hopefully over. They lost some key players and because of budget issues they're in "rebuilding" mode...they need team chemistry & players they can develop for future seasons.

BTW, I think it' s hilarious Sheffield is giving financial advice lol, hope he doesn't end up like Dykstra.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Sheffield and financial advice..... Why not? We never hear of him having any financial problems like some other players do. I am actually glad he is giving something back to baseball and young people. Of course Sheffield has something to say about finances since he lived it for so many years. I am sure he will tell those yooung people to live within their means and not spend money they don't yet have. Also, I am sure he has a thing or two to say about agents and Scott Boras and caution the young ball players to be extra careful in who they are dealing with.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Padres @ minimum salary would be interesting...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I have not done my homework of what teams could use an outfielder/DH that plays most days and can hit at or near clean-up.

I am wondering if he is OK with DH. Playing in the outfield might just expose him to more injuries and loss of playing time. By DHing, he can realistically play 140 games barring a serious injury.

Sheffield once stated that he really needs to feel being part of the game at hand. DH kind of removes that from him and it affects his batting. I guess its all about one's rythmm. Perhaps being almost full time on an AL team where he can mix up DH and OF would work best for him.

• GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I think the game has passed Sheff.