Home Precious Metals
Options

Canadian coins

going through a bunch of Canadian silver and would like to know what the weight of 1967 50% vs. 80% coins is.
getting ready to sell it off but don't want to "short change" anyone / myself.

thanks Matt.
Successful Transactions.
Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,

Comments

• Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    There is no easy way to tell the difference. Anytime I've sold any 67 silver all I can get is the 50% price.
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    well there might not be an easy way...but there should be "a way" or should I say "weight"
    Successful Transactions.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong, but I thought the 1967 half dollar and one dollar are 0.800 silver always.

Whereas the dime and quarter can be both 0.500 and 0.800 silver, but when being purchased for silver content, they are always purchased as 0.500 fineness.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I just sold $900 FV of Canadian coins.

Dollars & Halves that are dated 1967 are 80%.

Quarters and dimes that are dated 1967 are what you have to distinguish.

50% 1967 dimes have the Queen on the obverse and a fish on the reverse.
    80% 1967 dimes have the Queen on obv. and a ship on the reverse.

50% 1967 quarters have the Queen on the obv. and a lion/tiger on the reverse.
    80% 1967 quarters have the Queen on the obv. and an Elk/Moose on the reverse.

1926-1966 Canadian coinage is 80%.

Hope this helps. If i'm wrong, i'm sure someone will point it out but this is how I just did a $900 FV deal with a major dealer for.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I could be wrong, but I thought the 1967 half dollar and one dollar are 0.800 silver always. >>

Correct but be careful, many dealers don't know this and will still offer you the .500 price for these coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I could be wrong, but I thought the 1967 half dollar and one dollar are 0.800 silver always. >>

Correct but be careful, many dealers don't know this and will still offer you the .500 price for these coins. >>

no harm done in checking it out either. its your money
  • Options

<< <i>I just sold $900 FV of Canadian coins.

Dollars & Halves that are dated 1967 are 80%.

Quarters and dimes that are dated 1967 are what you have to distinguish.

50% 1967 dimes have the Queen on the obverse and a fish on the reverse.
    80% 1967 dimes have the Queen on obv. and a ship on the reverse.

50% 1967 quarters have the Queen on the obv. and a lion/tiger on the reverse.
    80% 1967 quarters have the Queen on the obv. and an Elk/Moose on the reverse.

1926-1966 Canadian coinage is 80%.

Hope this helps. If i'm wrong, i'm sure someone will point it out but this is how I just did a $900 FV deal with a major dealer for. >>

some of this is correct, the halves and dollars are 80%.
    there is no diff. between the the rev on the 67 dime and quarters of 50% and 80% they are the same.

I also found out that the weight is the same ....2.33grams (dimes) 5.83 (quarters) so it will be tuff to determine the diff. between the two.
    forgot that I had bookmarked /www.jandm.com/catalogue.htm it's been very helpful.

Matt.
    Successful Transactions.
  • Options
    Please look at this auction of 1967-68 dimes. The ones with the fish are 50%, the ones with the boat are 80%.
    candian dimes

Look at this 1967 quarter with the lion on it, it is 50%.

Look at this 1961 quarter with the Elk on it, it is 80% silver. The 1967 quarter will have the Elk on it if it is 80%.
    80 % quarter design for 1967

This is how a dealer with nearly 40 years in the business and I did our $900 FV deal. I have been dealing with him for nearly 15 years, he wouldnt cheat me. Again, hope this helps.
  • Options
    This ebayer is actually selling a 50% silver quarter but is saying it is 80%.
    Educate yourself if you're going to deal in foreign coins.
    50% c quarter
  • Options
    right...the 67 is the fish in both 50% and 80%...the 68 went back to the ship and is only in 50%. (or nickel)

I was hoping that there was a weight diff. between the 50/80...but they both weigh at 2.33 gram
    Successful Transactions.
  • Options

<< <i>This ebayer is actually selling a 50% silver quarter but is saying it is 80%.
    Educate yourself if you're going to deal in foreign coins.
    50% c quarter >>

it could be ..they made both 50 and 80 the rev is the same on all 67's.....and they weigh the same....5.83 grams
    Successful Transactions.
  • Options
    This is how the dealer with 40 years exp. figured it out for me. I verified it with another dealer also. I'm not saying I am 100% correct, but this is how we did our $900 FV deal. Best case would be to try and work out an agreement on a number with the buyer/seller that if there are any '67/68 dimes or quarters, then they go for X amount if there is any remaining doubt between the 2 of you.

My buyer paid as I have stated here.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to divide the 1967 Canadian 10 cents and 25 cents into .800 fine vs. .500 fine is to do a very careful specific gravity test on each coin. The designs are the same.

In my opinion, it is not worth the effort.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    The only way to divide the 1967 Canadian 10 cents and 25 cents into .800 fine vs. .500 fine is to do a very careful specific gravity test on each coin. The designs are the same.
    In my opinion, it is not worth the effort.

In my case it was because I was working with a dealer that knows what I have been saying is the case. The other option other than the one I suggested earlier, is to just not do any Canadian coinage after 1966 if there is too much doubt on both parties ends. Hope this ends up being a good deal for you.