Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Ever had someone try to "take" a coin from your registry set, when you still have it?

I just got an email from PCGS Set Registry saying that someone said one of our 1/2 cents is theirs and to remove it.
If I still own it, to let them know.

Well, I haven't sold ANY of our 1/2 cents yet, and the serial number was the same in my database listing of what we own. Coins are in the bank (SDB) so I can't just pull it out and take a picture at the moment, with today's date/newspaper, but it is mine (so I let setregistry know).

I just find it interesting that would even pop up like that. I can't get to the bank until sometime next week to even check, but if I had been on vacation w/o a PC, would they have removed it from my set after 5 days?

Do folks ask for removal from other people's sets without cause, or would this likely be an error? First time it has happened to me in 5-6+ years on the registry in any category....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    I had this happen once but i assume it was just a typo by someone enter their cert number wrong
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Never happened to me.

Another thought is that somebody bought a fake coin/holder with your cert number on it... (hopefully not)
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Happened to me with a POP 3 coin. It was the end of May and they wanted their set to be #1 so they stole my coin's reg #. Got the e-mail and informed PCGS. They were stopped and didn't get anything that year. They have actually sold/disposed of their set since. Go figure!
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replied yesterday, saying it was still my coin.
    This morning, I get the same email again. Same serial number and everything....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do nothing. The burden of proof is on them. If they want it "removed" from your set, they must provide a photo of the coin & slab.

Unless there is a chance of their coin being in a counterfeit slab?

JH
  • Options
    PCGS must have it automated or something......I know they aren't working right now, but I just got the same email again. 3rd one in 3 days....1 each day.
    So, they haven't seen my email back to them (since they are off) and I keep getting the email spams about removing it. At least another day and another email to look forward to as well.

• Options
    Ron:
    I had someone put image of one of my coins in their Registry Set back in 2008. It created such an uproar his entire Registry Set became suspect and he finally removed the entire Registry Set. His excuse was something to the effect that he just wanted to add images to his coins.....sure! I would say that there are some dubious people out there who try to pick up cert numbers off auction records and then assemble a Registry set. However, would think they would stop short of trying to represent ownership of a coin they didn't actually own and try and have it taken off someone else's Registry Set. That would be pretty audacious!
    Jonathan
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I had it happen to me, but I just told BJ the coin was still mine and that's where it ended. I suspect the other party used a slightly wrong cert number and the date and type were the same. Since it was from the Omaha Bank Hoard, it's not hard to see how this could happen.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Just to update:

Had some conversations with PCGS and the other party had a scan, front & back, of their coin with that cert number sent to PCGS.
    I finally stopped getting the automated emails (I wish PCGS would fix that, especially on long weekends)
    I went to the bank, opened the SDB, got out my coin, verified the number, took some quick pics, and sent to PCGS.

Seems we may have dupe certs out there, again.....

Registry group has put it to Don Willis to put forth a solution (that was just this afternoon, so no word yet).

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    << I had this happen once but i assume it was just a typo by someone enter their cert number wrong >>

bingo

Not if "....the other party had a scan, front & back, of their coin with that cert number sent to PCGS."

Either as Bochi stated, "Seems we may have dupe certs out there, again....." or counterfeit!